Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Donnie Darko

Help me find some cheap-ish yet decent monitors, plz

10 posts in this topic

I used to own a pair of truths  ,  and yea , that were ok for the money .. Although I found I got zero bass response from them .. And I mean , zero .. I was prepared to deal without bass and just buy a sub in the future , but I ended up selling them as  I seemed to be missing frequencies ..

Although , 1)  My room ISNT setup properly  , my acoustics are fucked , and although I tried to put into place the “Ribbon” effect , I didnt have the space to do it ..    I moved them around the room and still didn’t hear that big a difference  ..  Im sure they would of sounded better in a more ideal room , and layed out properly , but from what I was hearing ,  I didn’t expect any miracles .. so I sold them..

ALTHOUGH ..  the truths had ear shattering high ends ,  and they could just keep going louder and louder to infinity  …  They sound better when played loud,  DON’T buy them if you plan to sit them In a room with plaster walls next to your grandmas room ,  you’ll never hear  them perform.

They were a really good DJ monitor ..  could go as loud as you wanted without distorting , and had pretty clear highs ,  but buy a sub with it if your going to produce ..

I actually sold them up , and bought some ALESIS M1 Actives .. I know people are up and down with these , but the fact it ,  they sounded better in my room .. much better ,  and straight off the bat , without any fucking around … I got them for the same price I sold my Truths for , so I was happy .. I made a clean swap ..

But .. The Alesis ,  could not go as loud as the Truths (not a problem for me) ,  the Alesis  had a more hi fi feel to them .. meaning , they had low , they had mid and they had highs ,  all of which sounded good , but none of which sounded outstanding ..  But when it came to mixing down , it made life much easier ..

Im sure our speaker techs will get in here and tell you whats what , and tell you to spend no less that 1k on monitors ,  and they’re right , do it if you can, but at the time I couldn’t ,  and $1000 on speakers wasn’t feasible …    Advice ? ..    Go listen to them at your local shop ,  everyone has different ideas of the sound they want from their speakers ..

local shop listening does sound like a good logical suggestion hey.. theres an allans music near my work.. hmm

speaking of which when r ya gonna come by my work and say hi cheyne ? :)

and yep, in accordance with what your saying I would be more after something thats a better all rounder - performs nicely at a low volume, not something like how the truth sounds - zero bass response and rather damn loud ( my logitechs annoy my mum downstairs enough, and were split level, lol )

Yea , sounds like you need something else to me ..  Maybe someone on here can suggest a better alternative for you ..   

Haha  , you know I actually think I saw you the other day .. I was walking through the Strand arcade looking for something for my girlfriend , im pretty sure I saw you in the crumpler store serving someone ..  I was in a rush though  (xmas shopping on Dec 24 on my lunch break)  so I couldn’t drop in ..  Ill have to do it sometime ..  just watch for my head .. lol .

I've got truth monitors, nothing special, they were cheap at the time.

My recommendation is M-Audio BX5As (i'm an m-audio seller, these sell like hotcakes and are a great value)

or KRK Rockit series

i just gota piar of yamaha hs80m's. i went in to allans her is bris and had a listen to them against the similar priced truths and the rokit8's and picked the yamahas. the seemed to have the most realistic mids but still enough bass for my rather large room. i made a set of speaker stands for em and once i paint them will put up a thread her on soundpunk. schwoit

Have a listen to the KRK Rockits if you see them in a store. tight bass response but like Cheyne and the Truths he had you may need a good room the hear the bass properly. I have to stand at the back of my room to check I haven't boosted the bass too much. HF drivers may not reveal sibilance in some voices, but they were excellent for my budget.

HS80s ftw.

AND a 5 year warranty!

i really found these to be the best value when put up against Truths, M1 Actives, RP6s and the like.

I personally think the M-Audio BX5 and BX8s make great bookends.

8" behringer truths

event tr6s

yamaha hs80ms

all other budget monitors are crap imo. behringers do suck, but for the price you get alot! if you want to just get something that "will do for now", then upgrade later, buy behringers. if you a/b between the events and high end monitors, you will notice they have a very similar sort of frequency response. that is, they are very linear, with strong mids. obviously the tr6s don't go as low though. the krk rokit series do not have this sound - they have the obligatory prosumer scoop in the mids. the yamaha hs80ms are about half way between tr6s and RP8s, in that they have less of a scoop in the mids, but the bass is not as tight as on tr6s. when you're auditioning monitors, listen for this and you will see what I mean. if you don't have golden ears, try a/b each set of speakers with a pair of dynaudio bm6as or high end emes speakers, as these are both extremely flat sounding monitors.

for the record, other than behringers (which you know will be shit, but good for the price), i would not touch any 8" monitors other than the HS80ms at this price range. RP8s are a horrid excuse for a monitor and the woofer has been poorly matched. You lose the tightness in the bass completely and the transient response is less than ideal. remember, on average, the larger a woofer is, the lower it will go in bass AND HIGHS. therefore, matching a cheap, narrow sounding 8" woofer is always a problem. conversely, a cheap 6" woofer can be easily matched, as they will still hold a strong sound at the crossover point. this is why 6" monitors always have much better mids, albeit at the expense of bass depth. if you must get krks for some reason, get rp6s and add the sub later.

beyond this point, you might as well save up for a decent pair:

mackie hr824

dynaudio bm5a

adam a7

i don't mind my bx 8's they aren't the best monitor around for sure but they don't sound too bad in my room