Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Adamwah

i feel dumb in this situation (re: X-Station with FL)

13 posts in this topic

my mate whom i make music with has borrowed an xstation off someone he knows.. and i thought oh wicked were gonna be able to muck around on a synth (the first time id ever used real hardware)

but it struck me, how the fuck do we actually use it lol?

were using FL and the only thing we can seem to use it for is a controller?

i feel dumb, i never actually thought about how a synth works.. and my mate doesnt know how it works either lol

is it really simple shit as to why we cant use the xstation properly or is there something we need to use with it, like a sound card for recording or something?

im completely lost! help  :bang:

(EDIT: Added specific title - Spectrum)

that looks like an awesome read, but it doesnt really answer my question...

this is more of a setup thing i think, the synths been plugged in, but no sound is generated, only when u use it as a controller..

do i need to open up a specific type of channel in FL to record into it? or does the synth come with some software/drivers that has to be installed and used in FL for it to work? im just thinking as straight forward as i can here on how to get it working?

its not so much i need to understand how a synth works, because i have the basic idea of all that stuff through vsts, but actual hardware being plugged into a computer and setting it up for it to work is my problem.

i know you load a vst into the daw and it works that way with your controller, but how does an actual hardware synth work?

confused

Plug Midi Out from computer/soundcard -> Midi In on X-Station

Plug Midi In from computer/soundcard -> Midi Out on X-Station

Plug audio out's from X-station to Monitors/Mixer

Open new midi track in FL

Will somehow have to select X-station as input and output for midi (not familiar with FL soz)

Arm midi track for recording

Press record and play on the X-station. FL will record all midi notes into that midi track.

Check out the midi track, should be a whole bunch of notes there.

Press play on FL and what you just recorded should play back to you.

Change the preset on the X-station and you will hear the same notes, different sound

May need to quantize the notes to get it all in sync

This is really basic, not a full guide by any means cause I've never used FL but thats the general gist - hope it helps

yeah, the x-station is a soundcard as well as synth. Just hook it up via USB, plug your speakers into it, and use it as the soundcard for FL as well as just sending midi over usb. I suggest you download the manual from Novations website and hav a read as well... it'll get you started in nooo time at all :)

yeah i think were gona have to read this manual and see what it says!!

thanks for the input though guys.. i didnt think it could all be done via usb, i thought we'd need a proper sound card or something!!

yea .. i own an x-station ..    it sends MIDI even when in synth mode , but theres a button to switch in and out of it ..

Very cool little peice of hardware ..