Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Synaecide

mp3 encoding silence

7 posts in this topic

hey guys ;)

i'm just finishing up my digital release and encoding it to mp3. but i'm running into a couple of problems with silences at the start and end of the tracks - very small, generall 24ms at the start and 120ms at the end.. but since i've made my album with all the tracks flowing into eachother, the silences really wreck the mood.

i was using adobe audition to convert it them from wav to mp3 - the silences are definatly not in the wav versions. someone suggested using a lame encoder instead - i downloaded a lame frontend and i've got the same damn problem!

anyone know how i can stop this from happening?

Yeah this happened to all the remix comp files when I converted them from WAV to mp3 as well. Meant that the neat 2 bar count-in I made was off the grid when folks loaded them into their apps  ;)

I'd like to know too :P

i think mp3s inherently have these gaps, i used to think this was where all the id3 data was kept tho now i think that's ridiculous.

some players enable seamless playback, tho (Winamp, iTunes) so perhaps all will be well again if people are listening to it on these players. Test one out and see if the pauses disappear?

i think mp3s inherently have these gaps, i used to think this was where all the id3 data was kept tho now i think that's ridiculous.

some players enable seamless playback, tho (Winamp, iTunes) so perhaps all will be well again if people are listening to it on these players. Test one out and see if the pauses disappear?

i've tried it on my toshiba gigabeat mp3 player and i get the same problem, same with winamp, media player, vlc etc etc.

now i've done some research - and i've checked out a mixed album on my computer thats mp3... when i inspected the files, they all had this same silence - however, during playback - perfectly seamless!!

so there must be either a switch that turns off the playback of the silence (if it is a fixed amount over all mp3s), or there are some values in the file header that tell the player where these points are in order for it to achieve the seamless playback...

this is killin me - i really can't seem to nut it out. i'll keep searching though. thanks so far!

hey cv,

for mp3s it seems like it's the player that makes more difference than the encoding.

the gaps in the mp3 are there to pad out the block of data so it's a multiple of the filesize.

So you need to make the wav file the exact same length as what the mp3 with padding turns out to be...

seems like your on the right track with the metadata, but will only work in players that can recognize the metadata the lame writes into the file

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gapless_playback

also says that if you encode the mp3's with itunes v7 or over it will work for all the latest ipods

u could also try something like:

http://www.mptrim.com/

dunno if it would work.  you might remove the silence but the player might still pad out the rest of that block with silence before reading the next track

mp3 sucks :(

mp3 sucks :(

WavPack Lossless Audio to the rescue 8)

nowhere as close to the size achievable using MP3. However a lossy bit rate file can be created with the benefit of a correction file to restore the lossy file to lossless.

more info @ www.wavpack.com

playpack support on Apple iPod loaded with Rockbox

www.rockbox.org

See http://www.soundpunk.com/index.php?topic=1010.0

my friend jed :(... mptrim worked very well!! only issue is a slight clicking on 3 of the 12 tracks from the abrupt cut - the settings don't go as fine as i would need to to fix that problem. but it's sooo much better than the pauses. thanks a million jed.

sam - thanks for the suggestion. but in terms of releasing my album - i'd rather have something quicker for people to download, and easier for them to get going - to be honest i don't think i pay enough attention to my sound quality to warrent lossless audio for the masses.