spazmatron

Sound Design With Native Instruments Massive

44 posts in this topic

Its sad to say , but iv got massive aswell , and iv never learnt to use it ..    It'd be great if someone could post a starting out approach to using massive , running over all the controls and features etc ..  I tend to just twiddle knobs and tweak presets, but i never get the sound im looking for ..    I bought my virus TI and just stopped using all my soft synths

then give me your virus and get back to learning those softies.  :cans:

i'll give it back when you're ready  :D

or i might not... i really do want one

No chance :D  I still kiss this thing goodnight ..    I cover it up so it doesnt get dusty and wont let anyone with a drink in their hand within 3 metres of it ..      It truly is one of my children ;D

im like you cheyne, i tweak knobs but dont really understand the whole thing in depth.. but lately when im looking for a bassline ill go to massive and i can manage to whip up some decent sounding stuff!

i find it really easy dial up simple stuff in massive.... just using basic filters. The user manual has a really good tute... that explains it quite well and really opens up for more complex stuff... i have gone through it and thought fuck yeah this app is pretty nifty.. but haven't spent enough time really getting into it. but like others i spend most my time tweaking the presets...

so like, a general introduction to massive may be appreciated?

good 'cause i half wrote a section on pads and then got distracted with the sounds i made and wrote a tune instead :/  plus i'm not sure how long i can talk about pads out for...

i must admit i've not read the manual/tutorial so don't know how much is covered. it is on the floor somewhere though so close to hand :D

yep , that'd be great mate ...    Like from box to sound ,  maybe following a demo to make some sort of bassline ...

You could then reference your other tutorials in all your posts  ,  the Native Instruments forum seems to have caught on to your tutorials , as they get a lot of hits originating from there. .

Awesome Spaz, I've been hammering Absynth lately and having a large amount of success... I think this tute may just get me in the mood for doing the same thing with Massive.

Gnarly.

I joined so I could especially thank you.I Googled for some Massive help a couple of days ago.This has been really great for me.A MASSIVE help.Thanks so much.I've been trancing out to this and I have yet to reach the arpeggiator.I use one in Kore 2 but I'm still gonna check this out.Peace.

Your very welcome palapala ;)  stick around , and im sure you'll find plenty more helpful topics around here..

Tell your friends too ;)

Cheers

Thanks for this tutorial Spazmatron. Its brilliant. Really helpful..

Can you please help me with a question I have? I'm stuck with how to work the Macro Control.

When I look through the presets, nearly every Macro Control knob, 1, 2, 3, 4 etc has some kind of parameter asigned to them (motion, FX mix, Cut off, Scream) Where can I find these settings and how can I asign these myself?

THANKS!

Can you please help me with a question I have? I'm stuck with how to work the Macro Control.

When I look through the presets, nearly every Macro Control knob, 1, 2, 3, 4 etc has some kind of parameter asigned to them (motion, FX mix, Cut off, Scream) Where can I find these settings and how can I asign these myself?

THANKS!

Hey there flash, apols for the uber-late reply (7 months isn't too bad?) 

i'll give you the quick answer now,  the macro controls are on the main massive page in the bottom-right corner - the 8 yellow knobs. you can assign each of these knobs to many other controls, so that adjusting one macro control will affect all the assigned paramenters.

For instance, you could have Macro 1 assigned to a filter cutoff and to drive level on the tube effect. turning the macro knob up would both open the cutoff and increase the drive level.

This can be very handy for creating morphs between different aspects of a sound. One macro knob could alter all the wave-table positions, another could be used to crossfade patterns on 2 or more sequencers.

the names such as "scream"  "fx mix" etc. are entered by the user and intended to be descriptive names to help you remember what each macro is supposed to do.

Hi, thanks for the tutorial, it's very helpful

In fact I have a question, I'd like to use a a swing effect on the stepper of massive but I didn't find any options which allows it.

Could you help me please ?

i registered just so i could thank spazmaton.  like so many others i found this thread via google and it's helped me immensely.  looking forward to all your future tutorials as well hint hint. 

Joined up to say thanks as well. This tutorial was easy to follow and got me thinking of ways to play around to get unique sounds rather than use presets. The sound samples to check you did it right were a great addition.

Its clear a lot of time and effort was put into it and for that I am grateful.

Good time of day! Tell me please, can have free vsti with assignable lfo as a massive? Or such is not in the nature? I would appreciate any tip. Thanks in advance!