Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cheyne

Lychee Martini Remix Comp Official Listening Thread

123 posts in this topic

WOW!!! No. 2 !! Thanks VERY much Donnie, wasn't too sure if anyone liked it to tell u the truth...

Great reviews and very much appreciated!! So u think i should be bugging people to play it? Wasn't to sure how to get it out there, currently using myspace and other various websites like that but wasn't shore if it was worth asking anyone to play, so thanks!

Hope all are well and out and about!

This is D/C signing it out!

My words used instead should not distract or even bother you. I forgot for a minute that internet communication lacks non- and para-verbal signs, and thus I should have put a smiley behind my message to indicate I wasn't angry or alike - feel free to ignore me :) . Thanks for adding a short review then! Highly appreciated!

As for Donnies monster review again.... wow. What a huge amount of ideas and thought on our mixes! And thanks for so many charming words for mine... this is reward enough for the work put into the mix, regardless of the whole competition. This is what makes it worth working on remixes/tracks - skilled people making skilled statements about (skilled?) music :) . Thank you.

Much appreciated man, sorry for then miss communication..I have came across arses before on other forums that said stuff just to be, well a arse.. Not you for sure and I know that does not explain anything here but I am sorry for all of that..We can't ignore each other, we are all here for the same reason, so talk away we are on the same page...

^ The only arses around here are the ones shaking to all the rockin' tunes!  :cans:

Hey Donnie sterling job and so fast! If you pm or email me the points I'll hassle the others and get some of these tallied and winner announced! Must be time - any day now...

Also Donnie for the judging just put down the names as you have them, I can correlate with the master list I have at home.

sick reviews... the effort is much appreciated. Not to mention your horriffic amounts of flattery :)

International standard lol... I can't help it, because I AM an international :)

#1 Mongreltek

holyfuckingcrapthisiswicked!

this feels like a remix on the bonus disc of a KoRn album.. and you added the female vocal.. i love it.. its nasty and crunchy and im bobbing my head like a mofo luvin' it

theres a real progression of building swarming sounds here, something i love, and i marked alot of my top tracks heavily for progression excellence

love the heavy use of guitars that i feel seperates it from the other remixes, who are thinking more inside the dance box, i feel this is somehow unique

a really rock orientated mix could have come off really cheap and nasty but it came off fantastically

LOVE that guitar sound in the last 30seconds

well done

for me this is the fucking catchiest and most infectious track here and thats why its [glow=red,2,300]win.[/glow]

And for weeks I was thinking I wasted my time....

Great track Lychees.

Humbled

Darren Webber - Mongreltek

Good to see we managed to understand each other, gammachild. Yep, I am not an arse/ass so far, but my girlfriend tells me I have a nice ass nevertheless - what to do with that?

I may repeat myself, but I really dug the warm and friendly atmosphere in these forums. I wouldn't have expected such a relaxed competition (and waiting time) - cheers to all forumers contributing here!

^ Yes thanks for your patience everyone! Cheyne has sent me his scores, I expect the rest very soon.

Winner announced any day now...

Lychees choice on schedule for 1st week of Nov - 3 out of 5 are chosen but we'll announce all 5 together.

What if the Soundpunk winner will correlate with a band member's choice? Is that possible or will you then switch to another remix? Also, what if two of you band members pick the same as your favourite - will you reconsider it then or allow one winner less? Just came to my mind....

What if the Soundpunk winner will correlate with a band member's choice? Is that possible or will you then switch to another remix? Also, what if two of you band members pick the same as your favourite - will you reconsider it then or allow one winner less? Just came to my mind....

Fair questions e.no, I'll try to answer as briefly and clearly as possible...

If there is a tie for main prize, the judges will all vote a second time between those tracks and decide together which one will win. No points, just choose mix A or B. If it all becomes too hard and no one agrees then I vote that ehsan - as the man from the label releasing it - has the final final vote (only from the tied winners).

If the Lychees choose the same track between band members we will look at our second/next favourites. One thing we care about is that the 6 tracks - 1 original + 5 remixes, make for a really strong compilation worth selling, so we want a balance of variety and quality. This is in the interests of all remixers we think.

What I'm saying is that if we have to choose from our second favourites, we will consider what is best for the compilation as a whole, more than 1 person's opinion.

If main prize and Lychee prize goes to the same track, then good luck to the winner! There will still be four others. 5 winners, 6 winners, that's still quite a few people we are committing to releasing with us when we debut our own EP in early 08. Most comps will release 1 winning track commercially yes?

Also remembering that there are two separate releases. The main prize goes on the Smash Bang compilation and the Lychee winners go on our first DVD with the video (currently in pre-production).

The DVD is a self-funded self-release (unless a distributor picks it up!). It will be both for sale with our EP (as a double-disk release we plan) and for promo - with a twist - more like pitching at film, TV, fashion, and art scenes rather than labels. We have connections in places like SE Asia and UK. Hopefully do something a little different with it and bring some of you along for the ride!

If there's anything else people want to know, please ask, I aim to be as transparent as I can. The rules are being worked out as we go along being our first time at this, I hope they are fair ;)

Ultimately I think it will be up to the lychee's to decide what they see best as the tunes to represent their image. I dont think anyone can argue that.

To make this clear: I did NOT want to argue, bother with someone, bitch around or something alike. These questions were in my mind, I wanted to ask them, and so I did ;) . As for the 5-6 winners: yes, it is truly very uncommon to have some kind of a double remix competition in one, including up to 6 winners. I was just interested in how you would manage the Lychee-internal voting stuff ;) . Thanks for your answer then.

To make this clear: I did NOT want to argue, bother with someone, bitch around or something alike. These questions were in my mind, I wanted to ask them, and so I did ;) . As for the 5-6 winners: yes, it is truly very uncommon to have some kind of a double remix competition in one, including up to 6 winners. I was just interested in how you would manage the Lychee-internal voting stuff ;) . Thanks for your answer then.

All good and understood my friend  ;)

Your questions are quite fair and I'm happy to provide as much info as possible so all the remixers know exactly what's going on. A lot of work has gone into these tracks and they deserve a fair go. Some of you know us personally, others don't know us at all and it's only right they are kept informed.

I've seen other comps posted on forums where most of the talk is about rights and points and money, even suspicion that the remixers will be ripped off. Then there are others that are done in the spirit of making good music and sharing talent, hopefully gaining some success for everyone.

We aim to be the second one  :)

And we are blown away by the fantastic spirit of this project we've all been a part of. Winners or not, the kudos that goes out to everyone for the feedback, support, critique, myspace promotions, new sound punk memberships, and everything else is a testament to the quality of artists here and the kinds of people you are.

Corny as hell but true - be proud folks coz the Lychees sure as hell are ;)

Thanks for all the reviews people. It has been really great to hear what other people think of your tracks and really get some productive criticism. It is not often you get that opportunity so thanks to all those that have been putting in the hours and writing up great reviews. I’ve been snowed under with uni work but finally I get a chance to get back to you guys…

#5 redshirt productions

what can i say, for the longest time this was my number one. technically i cant fault it, i just feel the other 4 ive placed above you have really flaunted some abilites whereas yours was very beautiful in a simple way for me. i placed them higher simply to reward this extra extra work they seemed to have had put in production wise, they kind of showed off in a way.. that said.. i fucking love this track, again, very professional and ready for release... LOVE the slight orchestral stabs, turn them up!!! more of them! orchestral stabs get bonus points from moi :D more more more ! the rising changing melody on this track is perhaps the best progression in this comp.this is the kind of track id love to play in a club, just building and driving

id pay for this.

prob my personal favourite, again, i simply marked you down as i feel your 4 predecessors went that extra mile production wise, and again i dont expect any more to be put into this track, its beautiful as it is, but this is a remix skills comp, not simply tracks-zac-likes-best comp ;)

yeah that’s me. Just another alias. But yeah I was going for simplicity, I think I got the bulk of the track together in the couple of hours after the parts were released and it just worked together. I would go back and listen to it for the few weeks after that but didn’t really change much at all. A few tweaks here and there but was fairly content with where it was. it sounds like you are a fan of progression and I am as well. I love any tracks with great builds. Up up up then boom. The orchestral stabs.. are you talking about the string sounding part? I just had a straight string synth playing through with two levels of the ableton autopan chopping it up.  Needs a bit of work on the drums just to keep em interesting. Thanks heaps, makes it all worth while this will keep me pushing tracks out for the next couple of months anyways!!

Groovewell-nice synth, trippy tempo, really bangs around 2:50

that progression at 2:50 was a kind of fluke, I am not musically trained so everything is played in by ear. But once I found that grinding, down tempo housy kind of feel I just couldn’t leave it alone.

Groovewell - Great jazzy intro. Nice re-use of the vibes. Touch of phasing on the vocals hollows them out, but works really well within the track. Impressed. The build to the main track is tasty. Your bass and kick meld a little too much and has a slight right side bias, but this can be fixed in post production/mastering. Damn, have to add this in Jesters Top 5 as well. Groovey... sure does Groove Well ;D Sorry.

yeah the phasing idea I got from the panning without panning thread from a few months back here on SP. You might notice there is a fair bit more high end on the vox too. I took two sends from the main vocal track, cut the low frequencies and then compressed what was left. Then offset the two compressed tracks by a few milliseconds to get the width but still keeping the original vox underneath. Kind of added a more electronic processed kind of sound but tried to still do the original vox justice. Yeah I am still working on the mastering side of things. I am working from four hi fi speakers, two small and two large to reinforce the bass. Dodgy I know but good to get the best sound reproduction at the moment. Still tossing up whether to get a pair of monitors or ableton 7 over chrissie??

Thanks again guys I look forward to seeing what the lychees have to say. Will the be giving individual reviews as well?

All good and understood my friend  ;)

There's gonna be some big forum-wide blowout soon, with lots of shouting and biting. I can tell. Humans aren't supposed to get on so well, it's unnatural.

#12 Falling Asle (evan sparks? strange file name, not sure)

best use of vocal chopping in the comp. i love that thing you did at 2:01, thats exactly what id like to do ( if i wasnt so lazy and busy critisizing hard working soundpunkers of course :D ) this track is supremely fucking beautiful

that would be me ;D it's the Falling Asleep mix but cubase chops the mp3 field to the length of the input box and i forgot to fix it :| filename should be spazmatron though?

thanks for the lovely review mate ;) suitable flattered

There's gonna be some big forum-wide blowout soon, with lots of shouting and biting. I can tell. Humans aren't supposed to get on so well, it's unnatural.

Hey - them's fightin words ;)

you watch your attitude sonny...

;D

Hey - them's fightin words ;)

you watch your attitude sonny...

;D

Ahh-hmmmm. There'll be no fighting around here without me, MK? :pissingmonkey: