Ajent X

Looking for some sort of acoustic dampening curtains

44 posts in this topic

Egg cartons are a myth. You're better off throwing your own crap at the wall and coating it in hair spray. The density of the cardboard is so low it neither absorbs nor creates reflections. There's such minimal damping effect that it's not even aesthetic. You're better off shifting furniture and getting some rugs as either floor covering or wall hangings. The egg carton shapped foam i think is worse than hairspray coated shit as you actually have to pay money for it.

Thanks for the heads up about the egg cartons. My girlfriend was just about to get hold of a lot to put in our living room. Think we'll go with foam instead.

Thanks for that Jester. One Question tho. Does the foam have to be exposed or can it be placed between a wall and a plasterboard wall?

You're better off with Rockwool (or similar) for between walls. It creates some absorption but mainly it's good for isolation - keeping noise in/out of the room. Plasterboard still reflects. If you want to stop reflections or control room modes, you need to address room shape. That can be done by damping certain modes with foam or by changing wall angles with diffusion panels. Rockwool in the walls can help with low frequency issues as well. Definitely worthwhile doing if you're building a new room, IMO.

Whilst out with the GF I spotted some real heavy curtains is a bedding store in town. These things looked like they could stop bullets. They weren't cheap, but they look high quality. I think they would be ideal covering a door as well as windows. They looked quite nice too, though home furnishings is not my forte.

Well, I put all this black foam on the walls where my speakers are so as not to disturb my neighbors. Only to have the neighbors watching Nickelodeon at full blast from morning till night with the fucking windows and doors open. Well 2 can play that game. At least my surround sound system plays at 9.1 and at very high volumes. So much for wanting to be considerate.

A friend decided to sound treat his home theater, and to be honest it sounded better before. it sounds like an echo chamber now with sound bouncing around the room. The channels are all screwed up now. A real mess.

^^^ What sort of treatment? The common error is typically just acoustic tiles to tame the high end, but leaving the remaining muddy bass modes to dominate. But an echo chamber it is not. Did they just put up hard wooden panels or something?

That's exactly what it was, acoustic wall panels. It sounded like a boom box. There was no sense of directionality in the sound tracks at all.

So, did the original poster get the curtains that he needed? My clients are often fine with fake "soundproof curtains" which reduce the noise by say about 40%, but they never really "soundproof". They can be found everywhere, for example, Amazon, http://soundproofcur...m_curtains.html The trick with these curtains is that they actually look good, they also help block the heat transfer, and the light. Plus they let the fresh air in.

HTH, Barbara

For sound treatment in my new room - I whacked a few rolls of unused carpet in a corner and placed a couple of canvas' in front of them (more for aesthetics). My wife also had 6 square canvas which she had very neatly covered with old band t-shirts - I filled the inside of them with carpet underlay - I then hung them in two rows about head height when sitting; opposite my monitors.

Didn't think it would work (i don't really know much about accoustics) but it seemed to create a sweet spot exactly where I sit and removed a fair bit of the reverb- the rest of the room is a bit bassy in certain spots but not too bad considering how it was when I started.

In my HT i put up some very heavy black curtains on the windows and also the door. It worked really wellat killing alot of the neighborhood noises. Was thinking of getting some panels to place in the corners. However now that I am moving to Canada I'm not sure it would be worth it.

There are some manufacturers that cover the acoustic foam/ material with painted canvas so it ends up looking like artwork. You can even specify what you want printed on the canvas.