Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PatS

anyone recorded/mixed gang shouts for hardcore punk/metal?

7 posts in this topic

i've recently recorded some demos for my friends hardcore punk/thrash band and i am soon recording overdubs of gang shouts (that is a group of people shouting back up vocals, often used in punk and metal recordings).

Has anyone recorded these before?  I have a mate who has done them before and after talking to him I've decided to use 2 AKG c414s a metre apart and about 3 metres away from 7 people in a line who will be doing the gang shouts.  Never done this before and don't know how its gonna turn out.  I figure if i use 2 mics I can pan them left and right and having them a couple of metres away from the sound source will pick up some of the room and sound more like a single instrument. 

Probably use some artificial reverb during mixing to give more of a backup vocal sound as well.

Anyone got any tips?  Is there something i'm planning to do that might need to be changed?

where can i hear a sample of said gang shouts in a track etc? sounds interestin'

p.s. welcome to the punk :angry:

A couple of tips I've seen some one else do (and I was a shouter - but a recording so old I couldn't find it, let alone post it!)...

- In the performance, try and get them to a point where they're still conscious of the timing but relaxed enough with each other to really over-exaggerate. A half-baked shout sounds lame, the guys really have to belt it out beyond normal. Ok if they rock around, bump each other, tap their feet - don't be precious, just capture a raw vibe.

- In the recording, try double and triple-tracking them, and with each overdub move them around so they are in different spots. Put some slightly in front and behind to give a near-far ambience. With each pass you double, triple, quadruple the size of the gang - and if they've moved around the mics it sounds like a more random crowd. For a tighter sound 2 takes is plenty.

Similar to how they record orchestral takes on a budget - hire 4-8 string players, 2-4 brass, 2-4 winds and record overdubbed layers - much cheaper, faster and easier than bringing in the whole orchestra and it still sounds huge :angry:

thanks for the tips

recorded a few last night and they turned out pretty good.  had 5 people in a line and moved the louder people back a bit and the quieter people forward.  the guys i recorded had done it before and reckon that it sounds better and fuller recording and layering 5 people who know what their doing than 10 guys and only half of them know what their doing.  its easier to hear what people are doing wrong with only 5 people.  The guys being recorded had to put on deeper voice really shout loud, each line took a few takes to get everyone in time, hitting the right note and finishing together.

I used two AKG c414s set to cardiod polar pattern and overdubbed each gang shout twice so that I can spread them out over the stereo image and it also sounds fuller.  Ended up having everyone about 1.5 metres back from the mics so as to not get too much of the room.  I also helped with the gang shouts, never done it before but was good fun!

Donnie Darko - if your looking for some bands that use a lot of gang shouts have a listen to comeback kid (they use heaps of them! Have a listen to their songs on myspace) and a lot of the more old school sounding hardcore bands such as sick of it all, gorilla buscuits, youth of today and 7 seconds use them them a fair bit.  A few others I can think of off the top of my head: Municipal waste, hatebreed,  pennywise, terror and raised fist to name a few.

years back when i had even less of a clue than i do now about sound, i recorded a punk band my friends were in and we recorded gang shouts. ended up sounding pretty bad, but it was heaps of fun to do. good tips rhythmboy.

I took a slightly different approach to recording gang vocals. I got all the members of the band and placed two SM58s in the large recording space. I decided on SM58s to give the vocals a rougher, more 'live' sound. I grouped two band members in front of each mic, then recorded several takes. I got rid of the couple of dodgy takes and then layered the remaining four or so on top of each other, then used reverb and some automation to blend them and create one, thick gang vox sound.

^ Gettin' wikkid recohdin' dem gangsta vocal styleeeeee  :cans:

For punks you sure sound hip hop :P

:(