Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bruxism

time sig and bpm?

6 posts in this topic

hey guys, i feel really stupid asking this.

have a listen to this, and then if someone could tell me what the time sig is and the bpm that would be great.  I can play it (sort of) i just can't sequence it!

p.s  how do i make that music player come up again?

Hey brux, sorry I missed you in Melb, hope you had a great time ;)

It's really hard without the music that comes after it but I suspect good old 4/4 at about 104-106 bpm.

The rhythm is similar to one I notated here for dancehall rhythms:

http://www.soundpunk.com/index.php?topic=579.msg6358#msg6358

It's like the first pattern in my pic, just different sounds.

It then goes into a half-time 106 bpm beat.

FYI found this online metronome for counting bpm:

http://www.metronomeonline.com/

Hope he helps :P

hey man, thanks for that.

Yep melbourne was wicked, definitely going to move there as soon as i can.  Sorry i didn't make it out, you melbourne folk stay up way past my bedtime.

Thanks heaps for the heads up on the beat there.  That was me just drumming that, so that's all there is for now...wierd that i can play it, but even after seeing how it works on paper, i still can't count it out as i play it...dancehall is a wierd beat.

^ Cool mate, here's a tip drummers use if you didn't know...

break up the bar into 16ths counted as (for '+' say 'and')

1 e + a 2 e + a 3 e + a 4 e + a

For the pattern you're playing, it's

1 e + a 2 e + a 3 e + a 4 e + a

tap the bold beats out while you say the whole thing - start slow and then bring up to speed.

1e+a is specially chosen because it can be said really fast without getting tongue tied ;)

Is it poss to upload it again with 4-8 extra bars after the riff? It sounds like it might go half-time but I may be wrong. There's also a chance of  2/4 bar in there after the riff... I'll have another crack and see if it's right.

BTW the mp3 player is done by uploading your file to a host (like the SP downloads server) and pasting the link into your post. Then select the link and click on the 'speaker' icon from the palette in the reply page.

If you need help getting files onto the server let me know :P

thanks heaps for that.  I was aware of the 1 e and a, but i've never really taken the time to learn and apply it i guess.  Time to take things down to 30bpm and learn to be a proper drummer.

There really is nothing after the quick two bars i threw up before, as it's just a wierd cut and paste sample jobbie that i'm playing around with and drumming over.  You can find the original track at  www.16pads.com it's a remix competition that closes on friday actually, with the prize being an MPD24

it's definitely a hip hop related site, but i'm going to try and put something else up for the competition and see how it goes?  anyone going to do a prog remix mayb and piss them right off?

anyway, i've taken it down to 70 BPM for a more relaxed vibe, and hopefully i'll work out a way to make it fit in with the 140 BPM section i was working on.  two snippets to come once i've worked out this upload thingie.

still not sure where i should upload this stuff too, i looked in the file manager part of soundpunk and that looked like it was full of official type stuff, and i don't want to clog it up with junk like this.

anyway, attached are the two bits i'm playing with...now i just have to figure out how to join the two together.