Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Adamwah

LFO

3 posts in this topic

this could be really dumb..

but im playing around with NI Massive and i made this pretty cool bassline for a song, ill post a sample...

[mp3=200,20,0,center]http://www.soundpunk.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=805.0;attach=298[/mp3]

but the bassline was done in massive and i was only fiddling around with the knobs and i found the LFO.. and this controlled the frequency of the womps in my bassline hahah if that makes sense...

but i dont really know this works, or how i can make this same effect but on a differetn sound in massive..

for eg i went through the presets and found something then went to turn the Lfo knobs and nothing happened?

is there a way to link maybe the oscilliators to the lfo somehow? im not sure how to do it and id like to know, because i think if i knew this i could use the same in the z3ta because i know that has an lfo but i dont really use it..

There are three main ways in a synth that an LFO is generally assigned to a parameter (in this case it's the Filter Cutoff Frequency)

1. The parameter will have a "Mod" or "LFO" level, which is the amount (or "depth") by which the parameter is affected by the LFO. Generally in these cases, the LFO can modulate more than one parameter at a time, depending on the synth.

OR

2. In a "modulation matrix" whereby you select the LFO and then select the parameter it affects and then there is a direct relationship established. Depending on the mod matrix, The LFO might be able to control one or more parameters at a time.

OR

3. the LFO section itself will have a switch or dial by which to nominate which parameter it will affect. This in general will be restricted to one or two parameters at a time.

I don't use Massive so I'm not sure which way it works, but have a look at the filter section and if there is a MOD or LFO or some similar knob, then I'd say it's the first one. If there's a dedicated MOD or "Modulation Matrix" or similarly named section, then it'll be 2. If the LFO section has a switchable / variable destination then it'd be the third one.

Essentially, once you've found which method your synth uses, you'll be able to work out what other parameters you can control.

Am I right?

yeah that makes it alot clearer at the moment.. im at work but ill have a look at it later tonight and see what happens.. im pretty sure ive seen a mod matrix section on Massive i cant recall it at the moment but ill have a look at see what happens!