Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Amz-Star

Ears

47 posts in this topic

Hey

This may be a weird thing but I seem to have lost some hearing in my right ear overnight.  It seems like when you sleep on your ear weird then it comes good, but this has been like it all day, and it is even getting sore into my jaw.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do or if this has happened to anyone else?

I am going to see how it is tomorrow and if it is still like this the doctor will be my first visit.

Just a bit worried about it at the moment.

Thanks guys

Amz

That sucks.

Does your ear feel sore? It may be an infection...

or maybe it's still recovering from a big weekend?

Anything bad for your sinuses (i.e smoking, pollen) is going to be bad for your ears too.

BTW What's the best way to clean out ears or prep them for a long session of mixing?

Hopi ear candles?

That auriclean stuff looks good but don't like the thought of spraying stuff into my ears, has anyone tried it?

medical question ? see doctor

guaranteed

dont prolong a visit

or youll end up like frankie wilde ...

46490_aa.jpg

I agree doctor for sure. It could be that it's your jaw that's the problem and the ear thing is a side effect. Consider how close the jaw joint is to your ear - mere centimeters away.

I had a bad jaw a few years ago with one side's muscles stretched lower than the other (leaning for hours and hours at the desk with my chin in my hand, one day I slipped and pushed it out - ouch!). I could hear a subtle difference in my mid-top frequency response, I guess because the ear canal had different diameters on each side or the eardrum was slightly compressed or something.

A few sessions at the chiropractor (and changing my posture) actually sorted it out  ;)

Yeah

It was really sore this morning as in that I could hardly even talk without it pounding in my head.  But as the day has gone on it is slowly getting clearer, but still like it is blocked.

CT I gave your tip a shot, and you were right, it didnt do anything but pop but it still didnt help, just hurt.

It is sort of weird as my weekend was pretty quiet even though I had a few late nights but I wasnt around loud music at all.

I think that if it is still the same tomorrow the doctors is the right thing.

I have been sneezing a little today too, so maybe I am coming down with a cold?

Would that do this to my ear?

if it is ear wax the best thing to clean ears is salt water!  blocked ears are telling you you need to get in the ocean for a swim!  not only will it clean your ears but it will clean you (of more negativity than you are aware of!) and leave you feeling refreshed!

if you can't get to the ocean those ear candles are great - look for them in any health store, about $15 but well worth it.  i think you can also get salt-water spray for your ears from the pharmacy this is also good ;)

Ear candles actually work? Can someone give me a logical explanation how? :wtf:

Not sure the cold water of the ocean is gonna shift any wax build up. I've got an $10 syringe bulb from the chemist which is designed to flush one's own ears out at home using warm water. Works fine once I got comfortable with using a warmer water temp than I started with to actually melt the wax. While it works well, I'm wary of using it too regularly for fear the lack of wax may cause more issues. ie. some wax is supposed to be there.

Hearing's such a amazing concept that it actually works in the first place, and therefore it perhaps should be no surprise that with our hyper-sensitivity to sound (being the audio lovers we are) that we're so conscious of the slightest variation to our hearing quality. Different times of the day, fatigue, caffeine, sleeping on one side of the head all night... are all going to affect the way we hear.

Having said that, Amz, I think if you're experiencing such obvious sensation and discomfort, you must see a professional as the others have suggested. Absolutely not something to mess around with at home. And if it's an infection, it could worsen and become permanent.

Keep in touch with how you get on. ;)

those ear candles are bogus, theres lots of stuff on google if you care.

i was at the doctor and asked about ear cleaning cause i get a lot of wax from headphone use, she said you can get drops from the chemist to clean em

I think that if it is still the same tomorrow the doctors is the right thing.

I have been sneezing a little today too, so maybe I am coming down with a cold?

Would that do this to my ear?

The mucus build up as a result of a developing cold is an obvious culprit. It's possible that there is a pressure build-up of muck between the back of your nose and the middle ear, maybe built up in your sleep by lying on your side, causing blockage and pain. Charming ey? ;)

Nothing you stick in your ear will fix that :D

Hopefully doc fixes you up with some antibiotics or some infection killer.

Get ye to a doctor, n00bling. I thought, and i'll clarify by stating that i was neither any good at biology nor am i an expert on the subject, that your sinus actually run near your jaw. They run into your ear from my understanding... so something happening to your jaw could effect your hearing... but a doctor might be a better person to clarify that. Get back to me with the answer, please ;)

Ooooh... and while you're at the doctor, ask them what this strange stabbing pain i have in my gut is. I got told yesterday it's a kidney stone... but that might just have been an excuse for the nurses to give me morphine ;D

Hey

Well I have a doctors appointment today at 3 so we shall see how things go then.

Thanks all

Keep your fingers crossed for me!!

ha ha ha

Amz

Hi Amz-Star.

I agree that it is an ear infection.  I had one after the Meatloaf gig in Barooga. Sore ear and jaw and lost of hearing. I think I got it from reusing my ear plugs after ckecking the levels during the show or it could have just been the music ;).  You might have to have antibiotics and ear drops and get full hearing back in about a month.

Hey all,

Well I went to the doctors and I have got an infection in my ear.  I got some antibiotics so these should either fix me up or if not in 5 days I have to go back to the doctors as I may have done something else.  So it is good news at the moment I think!

But I still think it may have been an alien too!

Amz

Sinus infection ;) Now - no more letting Aliens ear probe you, MK? No matter how tempting it sounds... just say "No". They never respect you in the morning, trust me...

Ooooh... and while you're at the doctor, ask them what this strange stabbing pain i have in my gut is. I got told yesterday it's a kidney stone... but that might just have been an excuse for the nurses to give me morphine ;D

[/img]

well y'all

I have been on the antibiotics for a few days and they still havent cleared it up. :bang:

If it is no better by tomorrow I am going back to the doctors (as this is when the course of tablets finish).

I tried to do a bit of mixing but besides hurting my ear i got my friend who did my course a couple of years ago to listen to it to see how it was and he said it was not very good and that he had head me do alot better.  :bang: I dont know if this is from the ear  but, I think it musy be cause I thought it sounded great!

Thanks all 8)

Amz

Been back to the doctors twice since then as I woke up this morning not being able to hear at all from my right ear and it being very painful.

The doctor today looked at it today (a different one to the other times) and she said that it is not really that badly infected anymore, but that my eardrum has inverted.  This will take at the very least three weeks to get better.

At the very least I can hear at the moment, but it is a bit painful with too much loud noise. :D

I have nasal spray with steroids in it for if it is no better in two weeks, as I have another couple of exercises to do with it.

If anyone was to see me when I was doing all of these they would think I was crazy! (Well, even more crazy than I already am!!) :P

Amz

Steroids, aye. So, you gonna start working out? Maybe building up the lugging mussles to improve your status as roadie? Might be a good fallback plan incase your ear gets no better ;D

I kid. Sucks to be you. I'm lucky in that i've never had any ear infections. That means when they're desperate for fighter pilots, i'll still be able to fly a speedy fast jet plane to kill the alien invaders, just like in independance day. In fact, i'm working on becomming an alcoholic farmer as we speak.

she said you can get drops from the chemist to clean em

WAXSOL is the one i use regularly. works a treat for cleaning wax and emogrime out from after a long nite mixing for hardcore bands

inverted eardrum! how interestingly annoying. sorry to hear that mate, hope your ear fixes itself soon! sucks being a sound punk and not being able to listen to sound