Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
echosystm

Acoustics in MY room!

19 posts in this topic

My turn. ;D

My sister is moving out, so I'm going to take over her bedroom (fuck yeah!).

ROOM.gif

This is how I wanted to have it planned, but clearly I am way too close to the center of the room. The room is 4x3m, with one 2m window along the north wall, and a built-in robe covering the entire south wall. The robe has glass sliding doors.

Any suggestions?

Well now that you mention it... ;D

Now you know you really should have merged with Bruxism by tacking this on the tail of his thread... so I expect what we'll do is apply the theory there... and let everyone put their newfound learnings into practice here...

Sounds like a plan, eh? ;)

I'm a bit concerned that you don't look very content in your self portrait though.

A bit like this --> ;) ??

Hmmm.. there's something about MS Paint - in all its Crayola glory - that exudes the techiest of technolololological advancements.

My first suggestion is to put your setup with speakers pointing down the longest axis of the room. I'd then get some thick material (like curatin material) and hang it in front of the glass/mirrored walk in robe. If you hang it on proper curtain rail, it'll still be easy to get into the robe, but will take away most of the HF reflections the glass is going to add. A nice foam sofa/sofa bed at the end opposite the monitors will serve you as a bass trap, and make the room look livable... plus provide seating during 'sessions' ;) You'll find cheaper lounges generally have more foam... so a trip to Fantastic or Ikea may be in order ;D

That was originally how I wanted to have it Jester, but opening a door and walking straight into a desk isn't really cool haha. I figured if I had the desk down the other end, I would get some nasty reflections off the cupboard too. Maybe you can correct me on this, if I am wrong?

Seeing has we have just moved into this new house, I don't think the owner (dad) will take too kindly to me hanging shit around the place. Assuming I can't do any "acoustic treatment" other than buying a few book cases and couches, what would you suggest?

Why not pop your desk along the right-hand wall?

Then a sofa-bed (more practical) on the left-hand wall (as you walk in) to soak up some of the low-end reflections?

Yeah thats what I was saying... If I move the desk down THAT end (right wall), won't I get really bad reflections off the cupboard?

This was my other idea... If I MoPad my speakers on the desk (won't get as wide stereo though).

ROOM2.gif

re: reflections:

a) Well, you're gonna get reflections off any hard surface.

;) Being a mirror, you can see exactly how the sound is being reflected, and therefore if you can't see the reflection of the speaker in the mirror, you're not going to hear the direct reflection.

c) I'm gonna make the assertion that your low end (bass) reflections are of more concern than your high end (treble) reflections...

...and that's what the quintessential studio couch is for. ;)

Re: speakers on desks:

Personally, I'm not a fan. I hate sitting so close to speakers... Sure, it sounds great, but I find the sound to be deceptively upfront and clear, alikened to wearing headphones... great to hear critical detail... rubbish for an overview of how everything's sitting in the mix. Much prefer to sit a little further back from the speakers... hence not sitting on the desk... not to mention the concern of reflections off the desk itself.

Pssst... looking at those oh-so-styleesh graphics, I'm gonna bet a lottery ticket on that desk being the (in)famous IKEA JerkerĀ®. Am I right? Am I right? Am I right? Eh?

Youre right haha, Jerker it is. ;)

Good point on the low frequencies though, I guess the highs ARE the least of my worries. I propped a pillow up against the wall, mimicking a speaker. I could see its reflection really easily. Therefore, we have the following scenario:

1. Have desk on north wall, no early reflections, narrow stereo spread, lots reflecting off the glass behind.

2. Have desk on east wall, early reflection mania on right side (glass), good stereo spread, bass problem more easily fixed.

Tough decision?

Youre right haha, Jerker it is. :P

Ah yes, I know my Jerkers! ;)

And I still reckon they should have never moved on from the first generation Jerker...

AccessionStudiocirca2002.jpg

Was never the same after that. ;)

Good point on the low frequencies though, I guess the highs ARE the least of my worries. I propped a pillow up against the wall, mimicking a speaker. I could see its reflection really easily.

Well, high frequencies are gonna be a concern as far as direct reflections go. Low frequencies, on the other hand, will be your enemy with less regard to such pinpoint direction. In other words, just because you can't 'see' the reflection, it's still at risk at wrecking havoc, response-wise.

1. Have desk on north wall, no early reflections, narrow stereo spread, lots reflecting off the glass behind.

2. Have desk on east wall, early reflection mania on right side (glass), good stereo spread, bass problem more easily fixed.

I suggest going back and reviewing Jester's reply. A possible wardrobe solution lies there. ;)

And with the rig along the right-hand/west wall, why do you think there's gonna be "early reflection mania" only on the right, when there's an equally hard, reflection section of wall and glass window on the left-hand/north?

Reviewing Jester's suggestion, you could whip up a nice dual set of 'matching' heaving drapes to cover the window and the wardrobe uniformly and balanced. Then a couch behind you (on the left-hand/east wall), and you'll have the ideal set-up paving the way for more sophisticated acoustic treatment should time/effort/money present itself.

Now we really must go give Bruxism a hand as he was in first. Sorry mate. ;)

... you could whip up a nice dual set of 'matching' heaving drapes to cover the window and the wardrobe uniformly and balanced. Then a couch behind you (on the left-hand/east wall), and you'll have the ideal set-up paving the way for more sophisticated acoustic treatment should time/effort/money present itself.

;) Just remember that HF is typically more easily tereated than LF because it's lower energy means it's more easily absorbed.

;) Just remember that HF is typically more easily tereated than LF because it's lower energy means it's more easily absorbed.

All very true, and your curtain rail idea would look very neat and not out-of-place in a home too. Shame heavy drape fabric is so expensive, however, I expect that 'blockout' (rubber-backed) curtain material suspended several cm away from the mirrored doors would be quite effective.

re HF vs LF... I'm just so aware how screwed up the LF can be, with the "now you hear it, now you don't" phenomenon (as Bruxism revealed in his thread) that can make nailing the ideal low-end balance in one's mixes a tough task.

EDIT: How's your reflective/absorbing pyramid panels coming along? ;)

Ok guys... brace yourself.

ULTIMATE SOLUTION !1111ONEONEELEVEN

ROOM3-1.gif

The black things are panels of rockwool, or foam if I get lazy. That should pretty much fix ANY early reflection problems no? ;)

It'll help with early reflection problems, yes. Also think about adding some bass traps to the corners behind the speakers. I'd try and get your speakers at least 300mm from the wall, and as already suggested in the other thread, try moving your worksurface back from the monitors a bit. You'll need to 'tune' the distance with your hearing to optomise bass.

Spectrum - the pyramids have been on hold as my manufacturing monkey has been busy. He rigged a jig for them last weekend, so i expect by the time we see you in Syd in Nov, they'll be finished and mounted.