Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bruxism

Acoustics in my room

26 posts in this topic

hey guys.  I've been playing around with some stuff lately and have only just realised how badly placed either me, or my speaker, are within my room.

When i'm playing around with my stuff on my MPC, and i guess i'm pretty close to the speakers when i am, i have no bass.  When i move back a little, it's Bass central.  how does my room look to you guys, and what would you do about it.  i think probably the obvious choice is to just move the desk back a bit, but now i'm wondering, is this more accurate, or am i just coping more reflections there, and thus more bass.

here's a picturebruxdio.jpg

Move your desk back is the way to go. Remember that the problem reflections are going to be hi-freq, whereas the issues with bass tend to be more standing wave/phase. Use your ears in this case = if it sounds better a bit further back, it probably just is!

^ I agree, without getting into the depths of doing acoustics treatment, simply putting your ears where the bass souds best is a great start - if the desk moves a bit so be it.

Maybe do it while listening to a well mastered track you know really well to get your own 'bass balance' sweet spot.

As it was Bruxism who first prompted our first delve into heavy handed acoustics... I say let's go there again!  ;D

So throw us your room length width and height dimensions, eh? ;)

In the meantime, as Ehsan highlighted, standing waves is your enemy right now, and without major treatment, moving your position within the room will be your easiest/cheapest solution. My space suffers similar issues.

PS. Is your chair drunk? And where's the calculator that was in the legend of your previous MS Graphics incarnation? ;)

So throw us your room length width and height dimensions, eh? ;)

oh dear, you asked for it.

studiostylez.jpg

and yes, chair is definitely a bit lopsided, i keep meaning to buy a new one but... i always think of a new thing to buy instead.

Sensational! ;D

Let me get back to this when I have a moment... if anyone wants to jump in with some predicted boomy/dead frequencies... and whereabouts they appear in the room... then please go right ahead. ;)

The #1 issue (and the reason you're hearing zero bass) is that you're sitting smack bang in the middle of the room. Reasons and (hopefully) solutions to follow...

you captain.  What difference does the speaker stand make?

and just some additional measurements for you, since mspaint wasn't drawn to scale.  The front of the speakers are about 50cms from the window, and when i'm sitting i'm about 160cm's from the window.  so yep, about centre of the room.

Isolation mainly

I also think the empty boxes may be resonating and creating a few more probs with the room.

I used to have my speakers on the top of the desk with mopads for isolation. Once i put them on stands, i found them a whole lot clearer in the mids. Lots more punch

Isolation mainly

I also think the empty boxes may be resonating and creating a few more probs with the room.

I used to have my speakers on the top of the desk with mopads for isolation. Once i put them on stands, i found them a whole lot clearer in the mids. Lots more punch

I agree the empty boxes will cause a small problem, acting like a speaker cabinet and increasing bottom end in their resonant frequency. Either replace with more milk crates or fill tightly with dense foam.

The milk crates won't make anything resonate really since they have no enclosed sides, but they might vibrate a bit, sending them into the floor. Proper speaker stands with foam isolation like Mopads is best.

Trawled and found this from tutes & articles lest we forget... you may remember but maybe helps...

The DIY speaker stands thread:

http://www.soundpunk.com/index.php?topic=518.msg5398#msg5398

And yet another speaker mounting solution...

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=46&g2_serialNumber=1

Reconstituted Limestone Blocks @ $8.39 each from Bunnings.

Not sure if they're available outside WA, but here in Perth, every second front yard uses 'em to block out the drunken Holden utes from skidding into their 6 bedroom, 4 bathroom (plus home theatre) suburban homes.

^ tres elegante monsiuer Spectrum

(sorry - world cup fever ;) )

Great idea those blocks - and I recall the little desk idea - works a treat!

This is how I ended up incorporating my stands into my desk - had to pull the top of the racks off and slide the stands in behind. (which has effectively removed another reflective surface in the audio's path to my ear)

Bruxism, can that cupboard be taken out? Your speakers are rear ported, so it's probably not ideal to be having them infront of a window. If you can, putting them the other way around would be best. This way, you can put a heavy drape over the window at the back and two bookshelves either side (filled with books & rockwool for bass trapping madness). You would also not longer be sitting in the middle of your room - the closer the speakers are to the wall, the more likely you are to need a chunk of foam behind them though.

^^ I agree with the foam - in my last room, i had to have the desk almost hard up against the wall - 1 cheap singlebed foam mattress fixed a whole lot of probs for me.

Chuck all your equpment boxes and manuals etc in that cupboard to try make it less resonant (we did this in a mates room and worked a treat) even pillows, sleeping bags, rugs etc

if you have a spare doona(?) laying round, hang it in front of the window - gaff a few thin pillows to the window  itself - see if that helps any...

It might be an idea to piss that dj console off to another part of the room and move your desk over to the left - i would also suggest getting a smaller desk, tho i think someone has already said that

my AU$0.02

Edit: i also think your seating-speaker triangulation could be off - face the speakers out a little more

Yep, good question re the cupboard. Can you move it? Is it floor-to-ceiling?

Ok, as your main complaint is the bass response between your working position (dead) and further back in the room (boomy), I would like to revisit the phenomenon of standing waves, room nodes and anti-nodes.

Part 1: "The speed of sound".

Firstly, we start with the speed of sound.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_sound

As covered in the wiki article, the speed of sound changes due to atmospheric conditions (temeperature; humidity; and pressure, which includes altitude). For the purpose of this demo, we'll work from 344 metres per second (based upon 21 degrees Celsius dry air).

In Part 2, we'll cover "What are standing waves?"

In Part 3, we'll cover "That mumbo jumbo is great, but just tell me what on earth is happening in my room?!"

:)

hey guys, thanks for helping me out with this.

speaker stand sounds good, but at the moment if i spend any more money in this place my lady friend is going to kill me.  Might just have to get a few more milk crates i think.

RE: Rubiks cube, i have got 2 actually, haha.  My current solving speed is around 2 minutes, but in moments of musical frustration i practise a little more.

RE: The cupboard, most definitely a built in, floor to ceiling.  It's got a little bit of junk in there at the moment, but i guess i could jam some more in there to stop an resonance.

RE:  The DJ console, not exactly the best spot for it, i agree, but this room is pretty tiny, things kind of just have to fit where they fit.  kind of like tetris.  I should probably get a smaller desk i suppose, but again, monies.

For the moment, i've moved the desk back, so i'm in what i'd say is the bass sweet spot, time will tell how bad reflections in the hi's are as I AB between the speakers and my headphones.

Thanks for the help so far, interested to see where your technicalness is going here spectrum.

For the moment, i've moved the desk back, so i'm in what i'd say is the bass sweet spot, time will tell how bad reflections in the hi's are as I AB between the speakers and my headphones.

Thanks for the help so far, interested to see where your technicalness is going here spectrum.

Absolutely! :D

In fact, we've already covered the "technicalness" (hehe!) before when RhythmBoy and I got carried away in your "Let's Build A Studio!" thread, however, I think there's a real chance it's all going to fall into place when I tie it back in with your studio's physical dimensions and the actual effects you're experiencing.

So I'll come back to this once I can justify the procrastination away from a certain Lychee Martini remix comp that I really should have advanced further in than I have so far... :P

For now, your movement of your desk - or more importantly, your seated position - is a solid idea. Where you could hear NO bass before, it may surprise you to know that no amount of bass boost, subwoofers, concert-scale PA system would have done a single thing to improve it. Whereas now that you've moved your listening position, you can hear the bass - albeit 3 to 6dB louder than it really is...

...and over the next few posts I plan to walk you through, in theory, the discovery of exactly which boosted bass frequencies you're hearing in reality ;)

Absolutely! ;)

In fact, we've already covered the "technicalness" (hehe!) before when RhythmBoy and I got carried away in your "Let's Build A Studio!" thread ...

that thread is brilliant.  exactly the info I needed to tune my 'room boom'. the sweeping frequency generator idea's great would love to know my ears frequency response too ...

I need to do some digging through some of these threads of gold, once I get past all this interesting new stuff.

Brain's full for one night tho :D

Hi there!

I would like to ask you this:

How well does your mixes translate to other sound systems? (your sisters car, brothers hi fi)

Sometimes we are blinded by other facts that "we know" is right or wrong..

But the real challange lies in the question above.. (i think)

My advice is, if your mixes DONT translate, move, rebuild, change monitors, sell your soul to the devil..now!If it does, keep it the way you gotten used to....

Am i an idiot..?? maby??..