Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AnthonyEhsani

one shot synth sound

11 posts in this topic

hey guys.. i recently purchased a sample cd..

its awesome..

one problem.

It has this folder called  "Synth Shots" .. these are the synth shots that are heard in the demo of the sample cd.. * heard here *

http://www.vengeance-storage.com/www.vengeance-sound.de%20-%20Sample%20CD%20-%20Vengeance%20Minimal%20House%20Demo%20Neu.mp3

and they make riffs and chords out of them... but when i load it into ableton... it only is one shot.. and as a wav.. and i cant create different keys or anything.. but they seem to do it on the demo !!!?!?!?!?!?!! arghhhhhhhhhh

or am i just doing something wrong in ableton?

These are samples designed to be loaded into a SAMPLER. Drum samples can work one shot because, relative to most synth sounds, drums have a short decay - they don't echo or repeat for very long. To use one shot synth samples, you load them into a sampler and set is so there is not key or pitch hold - this way when you strike a key, the sampler shifts the pitch of the note to be the one you've played. The biggest trick, however, is the black art of looping the sample, so that when you hold the keys in, the note sustains until released... and then you start to tweak away at loop's that decay after the note is released.

Best is to head over to Akai Pro website, and dowload the S950 manual. Go to http://www.akaipro.com/archives.php and scroll down to documents, then download the PDF. This is the best introduction to sampling type manual available for nix on the web, IMO.

quick reply.. and i appreciate it :D:P loaded one of the samples into IMPULSE...changed the pitch on some of them :) made mylself a rad lead.. cheers.. its a bit hard though using impulse.. feels weird.

Luko must be getting fully old, bro. Fully.

;D

ADSR is nice, but when you get into a proper sampler, you can start imposing your own oscillators and other like stuff over the original sample. I don't use my S3000 enough... but read that S950 manual, and have a gawk at some virtual sampler appilcations to get full advantage of the tools you have :D

^^ yep abletons own sampler (not simpler) allows this, it has an oscillator section that you can switch on and layer extra stuff

for example sine waves behind kicks, white noise behind snares, lots of options ;)

however one major gripe with abletons sampler is it wont import rex files and auto map them - which imo is very sh*t

and yes jester I am feeling fully old bro ;)

i was at work yesterday, last night, and am actually at work today, its a non stop party in my life  :bang: