echosystm

Organising CDs

18 posts in this topic

How do you guys do it?

I buy all my music from mp3 sites, so I just burn when I need them but obviously this isn't too good. I'm thinking one song per cd and put them in a big aluminium case in alphabetical order. The downside of this is that it wastes a lot of CDs and if I put it back in the wrong spot I'm screwed. Second option is to burn 10 songs per cd and make two copies of that CD... THEN have a list stuck to the inside of the CD case saying what CDs the songs are on. Obvious downfall to this idea is that I have to keep updating the list, but it could come in handy if I can't remember the name of a particular song!

Any other suggestions?

Hey mate... I would buy an Epson R230 inkjet printer that prints on CDs.

A good memory and knowing your music will do wonders. Your second option is definately the go.

You have a few options, sort your music into styles, labels, artists, or release dates.

Then use colours, label logos, headings like "deep, tech, progressive or trance 001".

What is best is what works for you. What triggers your memory, because everyone works differently.

I've just recently come up with an awesome little system. My prime concern is being conservative with CDs cos having 200 with one track just seems wrong to me. So I have 10 CDs called PLAYER1, PLAYER2 etc which are my good solid filler tracks. Each CD is PACKED and alphabetical from player1 onward. Then I have 10 CDs called KILLER1, KILLER2 etc. which have my absolute killer choons on them. Again alphabetical from KILLER1 onward. Same for MINIMAL, and HOUSE. etc.

SO when I got to Lounge I just take a single CD book - one that carries 25 CDs! And it's got fkn HOURS of music in there, categorised as I want them, in my terminology and I know where everything is thanks to the alphabetical. But if I want to just play to the flow then I can grab aything off a player and i'll be solid, then if I want the room to go crazy I just grab a KILLER cd and it's guaranteed mayhem!

And add to that - I sorted all the music on my ext HDD into folders called PLAYER, KILLER, MINIMAL, etc so that I can re-burn any CD at any time and in doing the sort i now know in which category each choon falls.

It's the best system a non-dj could use I reakon ;D

I download my tracks in batches from each store periodically.  So when I download tracks from stompy I'll burn them at about 10 per disc and make 2 copies of the disc.  I have a CD printer so I just print the titles on the actual disc and also I have a template for Stompy, Traxsource & Beatport and change the colour with each new batch I download.

I end up with a section of Beatport CDs, Stompy CDs and Traxsource CDs, each is colour coded and I find I can look at the colours of the CD and get a general idea of the tracks on it.  I'm thinking there's some subconscious relationship between colour and vibe going on in my head, which seems lucky if not plausible!

Either way I find this system works really well and have been using it for over a year now.  I play out every weekend too so it's well road tested!

mm i see your trouble, i have the same problem. I've come up with an idea i haven't tried yet. But... I label my cases by year, also keep backups of my labels slips for each cd.

Hence, when i finally fill a case up i can copy the cd slip lists and chuck them into a word document or something similar. Then (hopefully this works) put cd numbers at end of songs, then categorize in alphabetical order.

The end product would be a little catalogue with every song from that case, but also with the disc number labelled! So this would limit switching to various cd cases one might have.

One problem though... i can't find the time to do it  :-

Its a bit like people wanting to be avantgarde when its rather passe ;):P

If it gets the job done in splendid reliable fashion then who cares whether its a flaming cassette, HD, CD or bit of black wax from the last century FFS...

i don know if someone has tried this ... i use something called a CD Cataloger .... apart from labeling my cds i even store data in this application ... thus when i wanna look for a song i jus hit search in the cataloger n vola i get the location of the song

^ Welcome to soundpunk mate, thanks for posting!  :D

Do you have a link or screenshot we can check out?

I'm also still using CD's.

I put at most 5 songs in a CD and keep them very clean.

Your tunes and your CD case is the most important tools instead of other hardwares I guess.

Good luck!

Hi All,

What blank cds do you find to be the most reliable? I find sometimes when Im mixing using cheap cds I get issues with skipped beats. Im using denon ds 1000s. anyone else experience these types of issues?

CD's?? What are those?? :P

The best will be anything designed for data backup. Like, IT stuff if you can find it. All DVD and CDR's use an organic dye. The dye is sensitive to light and degrades with time - even faster if it gets hot. So it doesn't matter how good the burnt CD or DVD is, eventually it will die! Storing in fridges and being careful when you transport helps... but yeah, the better the quality disc you buy in the first place, the better off you are.

You might find USB's a better option if you can play MP3's/have the right gear where you're going to gigs.