Adamwah

"The everything you need to know but didnt have the balls to ask thread"

79 posts in this topic

I've got a question regarding garage band for the mac. I was just wondering if it was possible to sample and existing song using garage band? Is there any way to convert a file or track into garage band and splice it up to create a loop that can then be used to make a beat? I dont know if this question is stupid or not so please take it easy on me and just let me know haha.

Thats a very basic function of a modern day sequencer, id say it would be possible although having not used garage band I couldn't say for sure. I know you can import the track, and you should be able to resize and cut it up to form a loop, but in terms of creativity you would do better with maybe downloading a lite version of Ableton and doing the loop in there, then exporting the file to WAV and importing to Garage band.

Ableton also has various random beat repeat plugins that allow you to rejuggle a loop to make beats you wouldn't normally think of.

Hi, im am a complete noob for asking this ... but i was just wondering if anybody can direct me to something to learn about Live and Recording Sound Engineering. My school does not teach the subject and so i am looking to find out online what i can do to learn everything i can. Basically i am just looking for an introduction to the overall subject and something to guide me on what i should be learning. thanks for whatever help i can get :)

HI Kruiz , you need to purchase a book called Mixing With Your Mind it is a brilliant book, written in terms you can understand, revealing many secrets of the veteran audio engineer, you can buy it here: http://www.mixingwithyourmind.com/

Also , if your looking to learn more about dance music production , I very highly recommend The Dance Music Manual by Rick Snoman http://www.angusrobertson.com.au/book/dance-music-manual-vol-2-music-theory-and-practical-composition/9200233/

I own both these books, and they helped me a lot (although they didn't help me find more time to put the theory into practice :) )

Speaking on the whole life vs not live... I think playing live and performing live are different things.

If you are seeing someone play live and expect a performance as well, then you obviously don't want to watch someone play around with a lap top and not acknowledge their audience. You don't feel involved or get the same vibe as you would from a live band, for example.

However, the issue of them playing live is still different. Unless they are using samples or something pre-recorded then i still believe they are playing live. whether you consider it to be a 'real instrument' depends on the person really!

Speaking on the whole life vs not live... I think playing live and performing live are different things.

If you are seeing someone play live and expect a performance as well, then you obviously don't want to watch someone play around with a lap top and not acknowledge their audience. You don't feel involved or get the same vibe as you would from a live band, for example.

However, the issue of them playing live is still different. Unless they are using samples or something pre-recorded then i still believe they are playing live. whether you consider it to be a 'real instrument' depends on the person really!

Like the Pet Shop Boys or Daft Punk.

There are a lot of "live" electronic bands getting around now. Even if playing some simple lead line, the live performance element add a certain sparkle to the show.

I do often chuckle when I hear people refer to "live playing", and thinking the entire song is being played from scratch on stage.

Having seen PSB performing live. I consider artists using electronic devices as instruments just as valid as someone using a guitar so long as it is to the benefit of the performance and not just a lazy way of avoiding actual instruments.

^^ Absolutely!

Interesting that electronic instruments have been around for about 80-100 years now, there are people who still question the validity of the whole thing. Haven't we all grown up with this long enough now to accept it?

Part of the problem has been the devices or software that executes clever sequences of music chunks (as opposed to note-level real-time trigger/excite devices) are so prevalent and can be controlled to some extent in real-time, they blur the line line between 'instrument' and 'controller', and the idea of 'live' is vague. Some people want to preserve a traditional definition of what live music should others seek to challenge and change it. I feel like the definition of live music is in an extended state of transition at the moment, and there's nothing wrong with that imo.

Like the Pet Shop Boys...

I caught a Pet Shop Boys special on TV the other day, and awesome to see Chris Low stabbing away in realtime during live performances of what I presume must have otherwise been sequenced riffs on the records. Perhaps many basslines and other bits and pieces were actually played live to tape, not sequenced? Either way, talent duo.

They are indeed very talented artists. And nice people as well. I saw Chris on several occasions whilst watching Arsenal playing back in the day.

^^ Awesome a closet PSB appreciation society! Count me in - I was hooked the second I heard 'Opportunities' for the first time as a spotty teenager :blush:

West End Girls is still one of the best electronic 'ballads' ever imo

As A kid I was actually allowed to watch them record a track in Sarm West Studios. They were both very gracious and professional.

Sarm West - home of Trevor Horn my favorite uber-producer ever! I'm so envious... <_<

Of all the studios on the world I'd love to visit, the top four are all in the UK - Sarm West, Real World, Abbey Road and The Manor. The number of legendary albums to come out of those facilities is mind-boggling.

I recall that they were really deep into the whole music scene, very passionate about it. Chris was also very passionate about Arsenal F.C. he was always getting banned for getting into fights after games.

^I dunno... i recon i'd spend most of my time wandering the gardens until i was layed up in the sun with a spliff staring at the clouds. I'm sure the studio would make a warm and cosy place to sleep, though.

Recon if i was talented/cashed up enough to hire a good studio, i'd pick one in a pretty shitty location to inspire me to spend max time in there.

Reality - not a problem i'm likely to face :P More likely to end up in the Aussie mountains (hills, really) on a farm with my own gear habbit. Always the dream...

West of London, about 90 miles. Great looking studio.

Thanks for correcting Ken, east of London would put it out in the English Channel innit? :blush:

Sorry being in the northern hemisphere put my easts and wests all opposite ;)

^ The most beautiful studio in the world... Real World

l.jpg

mi7.jpg

Yup, the studio looks nice, but with all that windows and glass, and the room is big and "empty", i bet the sound becomes "muddy" from that 2 monitors.

Glass isn't inherently evil in acoustics. There it's acoustic glass, that appears to be double glazed insulated and spaced for noise isolation and the entire room looks to be set out in a fairly neutral way (nothing parallel to help with standing waves).

There's other pics if you look online - that's the empty space ready for you to move your kit in and set up... there are pop-outs and in floor hook ups and a lot of other goodies that'd add some character to the room if you're looking for more.

The glass is a surface who reflect sound , you need something to absorbe the sound, like wood , carpet, etc, so the sound should be dry not wet.