Adamwah

"The everything you need to know but didnt have the balls to ask thread"

79 posts in this topic

well, that pic looks a lot more than just a laptop show.  good stuff.

whats the guy doing on the MPC?  drums, loops, samples?  tres interesting.

okies, i has a problem

My dvd player is a 5 disc internal dvd player/5.1 stereo setup

sometime back the dvd drive decided not to read any discs i put in - thinkin the lasers fucked.

So, i have a new video with a dvd built in - if i run the (2) audio outs into the aux of the 5.1, i'm still only getting stereo right? not surround?

the 5.1 has all this Dolby Pro Logic bullshit goin on - if i turn that on i get some sort of pseudo surround happening.

i think what i'm askin is this - do you think a 5.1 signal can go down 2 rca's and be 'decoded' by pro logic thingy - or should i be pullin the entire wall-unit apart and start lookin for digital i/o?

if you need specifics (ie: models etc) just lemme know, didn't think it would be necessary

^^^ According to this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Pro_Logic

Pro Logic II will upmix stereo to 5.1. There's a chart part way down the page that shows it easily. In 'music' mode it seems to split the centre-pan material to the centre speaker, wide-panned material to the left-right and surrounds, and a mono sum to the subwoofer. Therefore 'pseudo surround'.

However, if there is S/PDIF Dolby Digital (an orange socket usually) on both player and receiver, use this. You'll get the full 5.1 output of the DVD and true surround with better fidelity.

Yeah, you'll only ever get dobly ProLogic from a stereo signal - they can only encode prologic over RCA's. DTS, 5.1 and the 7.1 thingy you need a digital stream into the decoder from the source.

Like the others I feel a bit of a spanner asking this question but here goes...

Is there a piece of freeware for my laptop that will allow me to

1. Put a delay on a mic live, like this guy on youtube

Top dancing as well ;)

2. Put some effects to some of the records I'm playing

^ Hey Safe-t and welcome to Sound Punk!

I'm no PC expert, others may have a better idea but here's one I found called Voicesfx, a $9.95 shareware you can try for free. Has all the standard functions you'll need and is not a plug-in so will run on its own. Worth a try anyway

http://blaze-audio-voicesfx.download-778-4175.datapicks.com/

Otherwise I suggest trying one of many freeware/shareware sites like synthzone.com (the sharware archive link),shareware.com or ZDNet.com, and search for 'free audio effects' and 'free voice effects'.

Good luck!

you should also check out www.voxengo.com and www.kvraudio.com for free and really nice plugins / VSTi's....

good luck and yeah, welcome on board!

Urs

i has another question for the esteemed punkers...

How does one record a reverb impulse?

There's this awesome staircase i want to capture... i'm using SIR if that makes any difference

from what i understand you record a very short loud sound in the environment, capturing the whole tail. check out this guy here:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~fokkie/IR.htm

looks like he uses a starter pistol as the impulse, recording the whole verb, and then... well, er i think you just load them in? i see on the SIR page it says "imports WAV, AIF, FLAC, BWS, OGG file formats"

kaaaaay...

i want to stream my dj mix tonite from the club onto the interwebz with a macbook... i could not be arsed with google at the mo, tryin to sort choonage etc.

anybody??

its shit

;D And I thought it was looking OK.

Didn't test it, but also saw that it distorts after 20mins to encourage purchase. Also, what's with the effects? Looks as if one can drag in 30+ effects, simultaneously, all in a row? Is that right?

DAMNIT!

Recorded the set, but it used the onboard mic rather than the line in. i recorded the dj booth again

*sigh*

spewin, had some awesome chonage in there...

the Nicecast looks alright, just hate things that are time-bombed like that...

should i burn him the 3 hours? compete with his asking for it?

i reckon he'd come back and smack me one!

the manager wants a copy, along with the guy who runs the djs... im thinkin of whippin out the dns1000 and re-creating the set today.... ffs.

I've got a question regarding garage band for the mac. I was just wondering if it was possible to sample and existing song using garage band? Is there any way to convert a file or track into garage band and splice it up to create a loop that can then be used to make a beat? I dont know if this question is stupid or not so please take it easy on me and just let me know haha.

Hi, im am a complete noob for asking this ... but i was just wondering if anybody can direct me to something to learn about Live and Recording Sound Engineering. My school does not teach the subject and so i am looking to find out online what i can do to learn everything i can. Basically i am just looking for an introduction to the overall subject and something to guide me on what i should be learning. thanks for whatever help i can get :)