Adamwah

"The everything you need to know but didnt have the balls to ask thread"

79 posts in this topic

Now you can have the balls!

As thought of by Spectrum...

Ive got a question, but im at work and wont be able to load up a sample of what im going to ask you guys to teach me to do ;)

how do i record the output of my motu into soudforge i think i asked this somewhere else

I can see the motu in soundforge and its usually (if using onboard soundcard) as simple as pushing record and it records what ever is currently playing

with the motu its not as simple - maybe it is - i dont kjnow

I have played with all setting availble to me once i have initiated a new "record page"

and cant get the meters jumping ie signalling i am recieving the output in soudnforge

i am thinking i am missing something quite easy here?

cheers guys!

how do i record the output of my motu into soudforge i think i asked this somewhere else

I can see the motu in soundforge and its usually (if using onboard soundcard) as simple as pushing record and it records what ever is currently playing

with the motu its not as simple - maybe it is - i dont kjnow

I have played with all setting availble to me once i have initiated a new "record page"

and cant get the meters jumping ie signalling i am recieving the output in soudnforge

i am thinking i am missing something quite easy here?

cheers guys!

You need to make sure you have all the Motu I/O setup in SF. I'm not sure of the specifics of doing that... but once you've got all the inputs and outputs, you'll have one called "Motu Mix 1-2" or something like that. That one is the internal DSP mixdown, and it'll record whatever you're sending to the motu - in or out.

okay, i never had the balls to ask you pros: how do yo do music that will be listened from others then yourself?

i ask for a 3-step-intruduction in your production secret ;)

Yeah... does anyone not in the full commercial bracket actually sit down to write a tune for an audience? Not often. You write for yourself and the pleasure of doing it first... it's really an added bonus when other people dig your work and want to dance to it. It's not like every person is so unique they write music that no-one else likes... unless they write really shite music which is just all wrong or an 'edit' of someone elses work :)

alright.

this is kinda production related..

when djs are now doing 'live' acts such a Justice - what does 'live' mean. they arent playing completely live because there songs arent made on real instruments..

You need to make sure you have all the Motu I/O setup in SF. I'm not sure of the specifics of doing that... but once you've got all the inputs and outputs, you'll have one called "Motu Mix 1-2" or something like that. That one is the internal DSP mixdown, and it'll record whatever you're sending to the motu - in or out.

yeah nah thats not it, motu is showing up with a range of options in soundforge, mix 1-2, mix 3-4 etc..

this is what i am saying i am selecting those and getting nothing, when in my mind i should be, especially when using ableton the main output comes out motu mix 1-2.

ahh well maybe i will try ehsan method and feed cables in and out of the soundcard, but then i cant see how i will monitor whats being recorded

i realise i probably am making little to no sense with this

ok solution 2 would be a free app that takes all kinds of media files, .avi, .mpeg etc.. and allows you to select a portion of say a film and dump that out as an audio file for you to deschiper thru and take the samples you want from say the dialogue of said movie?

cheers!

alright.

this is kinda production related..

when djs are now doing 'live' acts such a Justice - what does 'live' mean. they arent playing completely live because there songs arent made on real instruments..

What he said

yeah nah thats not it' date=' motu is showing up with a range of options in soundforge, mix 1-2, mix 3-4 etc..

this is what i am saying i am selecting those and getting nothing, when in my mind i should be, especially when using ableton the main output comes out motu mix 1-2.

ahh well maybe i will try ehsan method and feed cables in and out of the soundcard, but then i cant see how i will monitor whats being recorded

i realise i probably am making little to no sense with this

ok solution 2 would be a free app that takes all kinds of media files, .avi, .mpeg etc.. and allows you to select a portion of say a film and dump that out as an audio file for you to deschiper thru and take the samples you want from say the dialogue of said movie?

cheers![/quote']

No, you misunderstand. There's an internal DSP mixer in the Motu. If you're not using it, then you'll need to route back into the inputs using cable. What you've described is that you're hearing it come out of Mix 1-2. This is not the internal DSP mixer... it must be given another name in soundforge to Cubase. In CB, the DSP mixer is called Mix 1-2 and there's only ONE (1) thing labelled that way. Look for an 'output' in your selection table for something that's not the same as the other outputs, and there is only one of it - that will be the DSP mixdown. If you choose to output to that, then you can mix down without need for anythign else.

BE WARNED - that when you use the DSP, you'll need to load up Cuemix and select an output on one of the bus pages, or you'll be recording what's played back... but not hearing it. That's why you're best off running monitors from the main outputs, or the main outputs to a mixer then to the monitors.

You can do this entirely on the Motu without need for ANY other piece of software. Might be best moving this to the Interfaces forum if it's still not clear. Start a new thread and we'll shift this in :)

someone should have jumped on these guys sooner and told them they weren't playing live.  instead anyone with a laptop in front of them can now say they are performing live.  haven't these people seen a real live band before.

i know it's difficult to draw the line in the sand, but when i go to see live dance music, and all i see is two guys staring at computers, that really shits me.

^^ umm mate welcome to the 20th century :)

i play live, well i call it that and i use a laptop and a couple of bits of gear, alot of the set is me tweaking said gear and triggering stuff from my laptop

what do you want me to call it when i play?

and I am playing tracks i made myself can you really pinpoint what has been a slow evolving revolution on just one band / 'live act' / or organisation?/ 

thanks for taking more time to clarify Jester - will look more into my Motu DSP mix when i get home

could always come up with a new name for it, it is the 21st century after all.  triggering loops and tweaking knobs, to me, is not the same as a live band playing their live music.

as i said though, where do you draw the line?  I guess the problem is that computers don't obviously make noise.  a drumkit looks like an instrument, and i can understand it working, when somebody plays keys, you can watch his hands move as the notes change pitch.  whatever a live dj does up there, intuitively, i cannot perceive it.  perhaps thats why i don't enjoy it as much as a band who are more obviously playing instruments

^^ fair enuf and really i agree to an extent

I am not a digital dj, as such

i am refferring to live acts playing there own music

i find i ineteract more tho with liveacts starring at their laptops and tweaking knobs than a digital dj playing tracks out of ableton, but tahts me

i do see your point is what i am saying i guess

i'd be very interested to hear about what you do onstage luko.  Demystify the laptop live show for me.

yeah id like to see what you guys do up there..

but i heard somewhere that when justice who will be playing at Parklife this year, they are playing live, and then become limited on the songs they will play? i dont understand.. Switch plays on ableton but they dont call him a live set.

there must be a difference!!

Someone should wake JohnVanraalt up for this one... he's doing some work with a band called "Operator" in Newcastle. They're brilliant, and they incorporate Ableton as part of a live set. The band is Vocals (femal, of course :)), Bass/keyboard and ableton for beats and blips and the like. they're a three piece, and i can assure you they are anything but borign to watch... and don't spend much time stairing at a screen.

Then you've got guys like Infussion. Yep, seen them play live as a 3 piece - again, no less boring to watch than Faith No More... and certainly a lot more exciting than Sonic Youth or Alice in Chains one stage.

I think the thing a few producers starting out with live shows lack is other producers to perform with. You've got to know how to act with another performer and make sure you've got gear letting you take your eyes of the screen and onto something else. It's not an easy thing to do if you've spent all your cash on VSTi's and only have one controller - you will end up looking at the screen.

Now, i'm not getting into the "hardware constitutes a live rig" debate... no siree. All i'm suggesting is that what seperates a 'band' from some modern electronic performances is the equipment and the way they use it. Bands can be as boring to watch as a guy looking at a laptop. The difference in a good performance is how you connect with the audience. I mean, Folk is hardly an entertaining thing to watch... but the connection the performer/musician can create with their audience live extends beyond the emotion of the music when recorded.

Another example is an Orchestra. I love live classical music - but going to WATCH an orchestra :bang: Boring. You go for the music, and for the emotion live performance puts into that music.

Someone should wake JohnVanraalt up for this one... he's doing some work with a band called "Operator" in Newcastle. They're brilliant, and they incorporate Ableton as part of a live set. The band is Vocals (femal, of course :P), Bass/keyboard and ableton for beats and blips and the like. they're a three piece, and i can assure you they are anything but borign to watch... and don't spend much time stairing at a screen.

Then you've got guys like Infussion. Yep, seen them play live as a 3 piece - again, no less boring to watch than Faith No More... and certainly a lot more exciting than Sonic Youth or Alice in Chains one stage.

I think the thing a few producers starting out with live shows lack is other producers to perform with. You've got to know how to act with another performer and make sure you've got gear letting you take your eyes of the screen and onto something else. It's not an easy thing to do if you've spent all your cash on VSTi's and only have one controller - you will end up looking at the screen.

Now, i'm not getting into the "hardware constitutes a live rig" debate... no siree. All i'm suggesting is that what seperates a 'band' from some modern electronic performances is the equipment and the way they use it. Bands can be as boring to watch as a guy looking at a laptop. The difference in a good performance is how you connect with the audience. I mean, Folk is hardly an entertaining thing to watch... but the connection the performer/musician can create with their audience live extends beyond the emotion of the music when recorded.

Another example is an Orchestra. I love live classical music - but going to WATCH an orchestra :bang: Boring. You go for the music, and for the emotion live performance puts into that music.

You took the words right out of my mouth... It must have been while you were... err... I agree, 100%.

okay, i never had the balls to ask you pros: how do yo do music that will be listened from others then yourself?

i ask for a 3-step-intruduction in your production secret :P

Whoa, here goes.. take them as a few tips more than anything. From my humble few releases and remixes I've had plus a lotta gigs, I guess:

- Many many people have told me you must do the music you really love - the niche is there for it somewhere, it's a f*kin big world out there. Only music with authentic passion behind it will push through - corny but true.

- play your stuff to anyone and everyone willing to hear it. You never know who that may be. In my case, having the balls to ask Will-e-Tell if he'd listen to my tunes many years ago lead to some amazing opportunities. How did I meet him? In a music shop.

- in the beginning, say yes to every stupid little gig that comes your way, money or no and put your best into it. Work with as many people as possible. Someone one day will notice.

- Always sound like you're kinda busy but still available for anything. Make it up if you have to. People like working with busy people, as long as they have your time when they want it.

- I could go on but that's 4, and I'm off to band practice now anyway - goodnight all!

i'd be very interested to hear about what you do onstage luko.  Demystify the laptop live show for me.

how deep do you wanna get  :P

the short answer would be

ableton on laptop acts as master sync to drum/sampler machine/s and also send midi data to 1 or 2 synths

i have my tracks chopped up in session view - each track is bounced down into 8 busses(groups of sounds), so i have a bit of control of the levels of different sounds - these are controlled with some effects from the microkontrol

i have ableton set up to trigger and scroll from the pads on the microkontrol (so i dont need to look at the screen, unfortunatley i still do and its something i need to work on  :P :P)

if i am not triggering the next set of sequences i am busy tweaking the bass patches and their levels as they play live out of the synths and into a mixer - i guess juggling all of this and trying my best to work with whoever i may be playing with at the time

a vocalist is always cool imo, i am working with a friend who isnt shy of picking up the guitar or bass live so we are hoping to make a show (eventually) that is a bit more fun and interactive, unfortunatley thats a few monthes of hard work for both of us ahead but hopefully come summer we may have enuff crap to jam into one hour and play dualing distorted guitars over  :P

below i think is the last time we played , snoie was scracthing over the top of us, kale is playing his mpc (you can see the mixer we are running evrything into

i think kale had mpc 2500, and just the korg (he sometimes has more drums), i just had the nord and the midi controller, we have been trying to scale it down  :P

sonusscrew10jd5.jpg

and depending on how many beers we have had we do try and jump around and have fun too  :cans:

I feel the same (even used to play in the syo myself) check out this post i made in my blog,

http://zacislost.blogspot.com/2007/06/in-town-of-tel-aviv-in-israel-total-of.html

a place in tel aviv where u enjoy classical concerts from beds!!!

= fucking awesome

This thread is revealing some great insights and tips. Cheers everyone! :P

Thinking ahead here, I can see the need to eventually split the separate topics into their very own "Everything you need to know about: blah blah" splinter threads, so with that in mind, could I please request we continue to respond to each topic separately within its own post.

Makes for easy housekeeping. :P