Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hps909

sidechaining in cubase / plogue bidule

10 posts in this topic

ok got this one off some dude off the cubase forums every one knows the quadro group method using a surround bus .. there is a program called plogue bidule that runs as a vst basically it is a modular programming environment sort of like reaktor BUT!!! ou can load vst/i and AU's into it i purchased it the other night and man it does some really cool shit but i got it for side chaining check it out http://www.plogue.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=21&Itemid=35 ..

pure geekdom when you get into some seriously cool signal chains and fucked up effects ;D

My god. I haven't done the quad group setting inĀ  a long time.

For my money, the best sounding external side chain capable compressor is the TC Electronic compressor de-esser in the native bundle. Nice transparent pumping, perfect for house music.

Have also used the db Audioware Sidechain Compressor. It's a snap to use and light on the CPU, but introduces subtle but nasty artifacting and distortion when using fast attack settings. I did get some cool bass sounds with it, but no good for inserting on groups IMO.

The meters are very sluggish on both plugins in SX, and pretty much useless when keying kicks at 127 bpm. I suspect this may be due to limitations in the VST spec.

http://www.tcelectronic.com/Default.asp?Id=1333

Compressor_Deesser.jpg

http://www.db-audioware.com/sidechaincompressor.htm

sc-compressor-small.jpg

a fairly nub question - but, how do i go about side-chaining in cubase? i don't really know where to start.

SX3, 4, or Studio 4?

If you have SX3 or 4, you need to get a sidechain capable compressor, such as the "Slim Slow Slider" one. Google it. Basically, you make a quad group channel (4 in, 4 out). Route the stereo of your bassline to inputs 1/2 on the quad group. Then route the stereo (mono) of your kick to 3/4 on the quad group. Then put the Slim Slow Slider compressor in the quad group, and thats it!

If you have Studio 4, you need to get a sidechain emulator, such as Sidekick or the DB Audioware Sidechain Compressor. Studio 4 doesn't have surround sound (therefore quad group) support.

If you search on google for like "Cubase sidechain tutorial", you'll find something. ;)

Edit: Alternatively, if you own C4 or Studio 4, just wait a week or two until 4.1 comes out. 4.1 has full free routing, so you can do sidechaining with the inbuilt plugins.

SX3, 4, or Studio 4?

If you have SX3 or 4, you need to get a sidechain capable compressor, such as the "Slim Slow Slider" one. Google it. Basically, you make a quad group channel (4 in, 4 out). Route the stereo of your bassline to inputs 1/2 on the quad group. Then route the stereo (mono) of your kick to 3/4 on the quad group. Then put the Slim Slow Slider compressor in the quad group, and thats it!

If you have Studio 4, you need to get a sidechain emulator, such as Sidekick or the DB Audioware Sidechain Compressor. Studio 4 doesn't have surround sound (therefore quad group) support.

If you search on google for like "Cubase sidechain tutorial", you'll find something. ;)

Edit: Alternatively, if you own C4 or Studio 4, just wait a week or two until 4.1 comes out. 4.1 has full free routing, so you can do sidechaining with the inbuilt plugins.

thanks heaps for the quick reply. i'll give it a go when i get home. i'm using sx3, so looks like no free routing for me just yet... i miss reason (just a tiny bit).

sx 3 is discontinued so no more updates ... plogue bidule works perfectly if you don't wanna fuck around with surround busses

plogue bidule works perfectly if you don't wanna fuck around with surround busses

busses work perfectly if you don't wanna fuck around with plogue bidule

OH SNAP! ;D

seriously though, regardless of what host you use, a sidechain emulator like sidekick or the dbaudioware ones are much less of a headfvck. just do that.

I used to use The DB audioware sidechain compressor until I figured out the quad group method and Sonalksis... LOVE THIS COMPRESSOR

sv315.jpg