Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rhythmboy

Favourite Audio Analyzer?

34 posts in this topic

BTW at the other end of the spectrum (he he geddit?  :- )...

I checked out the new Garageband tonight with the visual EQ and built-in analyzers. Each EQ module simply has an 'analyzer' tick box, turn it on and the real-time FFT appears behind the EQ. Adjust the EQ and you see the spectrum change in response.

There is also a master track now so you can insert the EQ and run the analyzer over the whole mix.

Nothing to bedazzle the pros, but quick, simple, useful and included with a new Mac. Pretty nifty IMO.

^ I reckon, for $10 you can't go wrong!

Gee once upon a time analyzers were luxury items. Now it seems 'how to make an analyzer app' is taught in computer engineering courses everywhere ;)

Actually not that funny - I know it's a project comp science students do at Swinburne Uni - several FFT apps have been written there over the years. They rarely see light of day though  :D

It can be how these products come about - a graduate student (or small team of) writes an app or a plug-in for uni, dollies it up with nice skins and GUI, sets up a little online store and then earns a few bucks on the side selling it to us for $10-$50.

(Think of that next time you're tempted to crack something  ::P )

I haveeen using Inspector XL for some time and have become a fan of it. I mainly use for the K System metering which i think is a topic within itself. I like the alarm system. Another one i would recomend for PC is PAS Analyzer Pro www.pas-products.com. It's a great teaching tool as it has a wave generator which does all of the waves. It also has a compare page and you can save a number of screen shots. Worth checking out in my opinion.

Hey folks, I think this is the right place to post this... if not feel free to move me Cheyne!

Just wondering if anyone is using a multi-function analysis tool they swear by? Ya know, FFT, spectragram, level meter, phase/stereo meter etc.

I'm pondering on buying the Roger Nichols Inspector XL software

http://www.rogernicholsdigital.com/inspectorxl.htm

I've played with it a bit and it looks pretty comprehensive, but any other ideas? My main need is exceptionally hi-res frequency analysis. Cheers!

I dont work on a single track without Roger Nichols level meters and analysis plugs anymore. The metering is far more accurate than Ableton is (which is important, unless you want your high end EQ's showing clipping while Ableton pretends everything is "green"), and i like the analysers because im a geek.

Just re the Roger Nichols inspector - is this not freeware anymore? The download page is under construction but they still send the link to ur email...just wondering if i should move on.