Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bruxism

how do you get this sound? what the fuss?

10 posts in this topic

THink this one might be a job for Spectrum , ill take a listen and let you know what I think :( ..

Just a word on youtube videos though ,  to embed them , when you click the YOUTUBE button , you only need to put in the  video ID in that box that pops up ... not the whole URL ..

Ie,  copy the code that comes AFTER the  watch?v=  from the URL .. In this case it was  3iwZ2KsncDM

Its just a buzzy bass noise with resonance. I'd say something like korg ms2000 as Snoop Dog/among many others uses bass sounds like that. There'd be heaps of synths you could use as its a fairly common noise.

No I don't think your bass station is gonna do it.If you couldn't get something close to that out of your KS5 I'd be worried.....

cool, so it's easy but, i'm still not sure... if you were programming from scratch, how would you go about? like a quick, step by step would be great...

What components ie synth parameters does the Ks5 have? I don't have one. But for that bass noise I'd start with a combination of 2 osc's, 1x square with adjustable pulse width and the other a saw wave, as the bass noise is definately 2 parts. Get the low buzzy noise from the square/pw with low freq filter setting and resonance to around 50% and feel you way around as all filters sound different. Then the saw wave will do the higher squeally noise part of it you can hear. Run this through either BP filter or HP...once again these vary from synth to synth so your gonna have to play around a bit. Next you want to gate the amp env. Some synths have this as a single switch which can be quite handy other wise you'll have to dial it in on your amp env = No attack, Heaps Decay/Sustain, No Release.

theres a rough sketch and some general pointers but as stated earlier, each synth IS different, and has to be programmed accordingly. You will only learn this through tweaking and hearing 'what that slider /button does'.... :D

wow, that was a great description, cheers Silverstreak, this is why i replaced inthemix with soundpunk in my favourites folder  ;)  I actually posted a thread exactly like this in ITM and got no response!!

Will definitely have a go at this tomorrow when i've got a chance, and see what i can come up with.

Once again, great generic description to be used on any synth, I'll definitely stick around while soundpunk stays so neighbourly! :D

^^^

there s heaps more inc LFO's/ delays and routings to filters/osc's, modulation, detuning, env generating between osc's/filters/amps etc etc....routability varies from synth to synth and will make some more desirable than others :D

p.s Anyone spot the synth in that clip? Is that a big fukoff Oberheim or what??? I've never seen one of those.

Great work there, SilverStreak. :D

Building on those ideas, enable 'legato' for those smooth slides at the moments where one note is held onto until it overlaps the next in the sequence.

Then combine this with a bit of movement created via a filter envelope generator (FEG). An envelope being simply a control of the sound over the time its triggered to play, so in the case of a FEG, it's the filter the moves over the duration of the note, or notes, as is the case of the legato-styled playing style.

With the FEG, you'll need to adjust the FEG Depth for the desired amount of movement of the low-pass filter, the Sustain set fairly low so the movement's not static while the note's held, and then tweak the Delay for the time it takes for the filter to sweep across the note.

With a bit of experimentation, you'll be able to get the bright, buzzy, bass stabs on the short individual notes, and then generate that dropping, muffled, funky effect when several notes are strung together with some overlap, or you hold one note down for a long time.

On a synth like the Juno 106, the filter can be mapped to the lever down the side of the keyboard, which can then be knocked left/right by hand at strategic points during the riff to create that funky, almost "wah wah", filter effect.

I'm not sure on the exact synth featured in the clip, however, that track has most certainly got its funk on. ;)

this is why i replaced inthemix with soundpunk in my favourites folder  ;)

One can't even buy publicity like that! ;D

It's really pleasing to hear your positive words, given they're precisely in line with the vision for this site, so we must be doing something right!

Looking forward to any more sound samples you can muster for us to pick 'em apart and see what makes 'em tick. :D