rhythmboy

The Mixerman Chronicles - Very Funny!

32 posts in this topic

Hey dudes, for some light reading, check out

http://www.mixerman.net/diaries_main.php

If you haven't heard about mixerman, it's a 'fictitious' character that goes through the trials and tribulations of recording a band in LA, and the colourful characters he has to deal with along the way - the producer, the assistant, the girlfriends... hilarious, esp for anyone who has engineered for a session!

Actually a collection of true stories from the LA recording world, bundled into one horror week of recording!

Whilst I don't like the authors style and he comes across as a giant weener with whinging about things like a cut finger or coffee burns (boo hoo), the drama of the situations is funny enough to keep reading.

"

A compressor allows me to reduce the dynamic range. You know the DVD of the movie that you watched at home last night? The one you had to turn up in the soft parts and down in the loud parts? That’s an example of a wide dynamic range. A compressor reduces that dynamic range so that the soft parts are closer in volume to the loud parts. If you strapped a well-set compressor onto the output of your DVD player, you could put your remote control away. I have engineer friends that do just this.

A compressor, however, can alter the sound quality of the source dramatically. Learning which compressor to use, how much compression, and even when to use compression can take years to master and the selection of which can be a somewhat hit-or-miss process."

anyone got any ideas to what a good cheap compressor would be for this purpose? lol.. sounds like a good idea

up to week 3 now

^^ I know a guy who's a sound tech at channel 7 & his home theatre system is all pro-audio gear rather than hi-fi, all except the dvd player and the surround decoder, and yes he compresses the output sometimes when he doesn't want to bother the neighbours late at night. Can have the volume down but the quiet bits aren't too quiet and that sudden explosion or scream doesn't scare the shit out of everyone  :wtf:

Got another mate who found a use for his Alesis 3630 and Monitor 1's - realised they were shite in the studio but pretty good hanging off the telly! The absence of midrange makes the TV sound big and full  :cans:

I'd say the compressor should match the quality of the sound system itself. If it's a budget stereo then a behringer won't make it worse, as long as you compress gently, use auto attack/release and don't limit the thing too hard. If it was proper component system then I like dbx compressors with the 'over-easy' setting - a really soft knee that makes the compression appear more transparent. Even a simple one like the 166XL sounds great (if I had one it'd be in the stude tho!).

cheers for the info man ;) very helpful indeed

i really should read the rest now, this is teaching me volumes about studio life

+i enjoy reading his criticisms of "dumb ass"  ;D

this is great reading

only up to week 3 , but for some reason i am picturing the strokes are the band...dont ask me why i just am, i'm not even a big fan of the strokes, only have their 1st albumn

would like to know who these guys are , does he give it away at the end?/

^^ ahh silly me, i just read rythm boys full 1st post

so its just a mock up storey of a bunch of smaller true stories?? thats sh*t

i almost dont feel like continueing the  read, i was thinking it was just the one true storey  ::(

thats sh*t

No language filters here mate :D  swear all you fuckin like ;D

and then when you get towards the end it says buy the book to get the rest

"muthafucker!!"

this is great reading

only up to week 3 , but for some reason i am picturing the strokes are the band...dont ask me why i just am, i'm not even a big fan of the strokes, only have their 1st albumn

would like to know who these guys are , does he give it away at the end?/

Yeah for a while several of us suspected it was the Spin Doctors, you know that one-hit-wonder band with that annoying song "Little Miss Can't Be Wrong"? I was gutted when I discovered it wasn't really true too! (ps allegedly the SD's were actually terrible to work with in the studio, which is where the rumours began)

" ....and if you , want to call me baaaaby ,  just go ahead now"  ...

Wow .. blast from the past .. ;D

^^ ahh silly me, i just read rythm boys full 1st post

so its just a mock up storey of a bunch of smaller true stories?? thats sh*t

i almost dont feel like continueing the  read, i was thinking it was just the one true storey ::(

You can't believe everything you read on the internet, my man. As to my story: It's all true.

I just thought I'd let you guys know that The Daily Adventures of Mixerman is being released in the Spring of 2009 on Hal Leonard's Backbeat Books imprint. It should be available all over the world sometime after that. When I have some exact dates, and so long as it's okay with the moderators of the board, I'll come back and post it up.

If you missed getting a first edition copy, don't miss getting a second edition copy!

Enjoy,

Mixerman

Holy crap, did Mixerman just pay us a visit!!!!????!!!???!!!? I gots me the vapours!

I ain't no mod but I can crack skulls, Mixerdude you're always welcome around these parts.

Holy crap, did Mixerman just pay us a visit!!!!????!!!???!!!? I gots me the vapours!

I ain't no mod but I can crack skulls, Mixerdude you're always welcome around these parts.

Sure looks like it :)

Welcome Mixerman , I hope you'll keep us updated on your upcoming works in the future :(

.. And as ehsan mentioned above ,  an internet editorial celebrity such as your self is always very welcome here at SoundPunk .. 

Cheers ;)

You can't believe everything you read on the internet, my man. As to my story: It's all true.

I just thought I'd let you guys know that The Daily Adventures of Mixerman is being released in the Spring of 2009 on Hal Leonard's Backbeat Books imprint. It should be available all over the world sometime after that. When I have some exact dates, and so long as it's okay with the moderators of the board, I'll come back and post it up.

If you missed getting a first edition copy, don't miss getting a second edition copy!

Enjoy,

Mixerman

All hail Mixerman... "we are not worthy..."   :)

Welcome to our Aussie forum mate, most welcome to hang and of course come back and plug the book, as mod of this section I'll help with layout etc make a nice post for you ;)

If any of our links end up infringing copyright at any time msg me or Cheyne and we'll fix any problems  :(

All hail Mixerman... "we are not worthy..."   :)

Welcome to our Aussie forum mate, most welcome to hang and of course come back and plug the book, as mod of this section I'll help with layout etc make a nice post for you ;)

If any of our links end up infringing copyright at any time msg me or Cheyne and we'll fix any problems  :(

Well Hey!

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I thought this was an Aussie loaded board. Just FYI, I love your country. I've spent more than 3 months in Oz on various occasions. Mostly in Melbourne, which I just fucking love.

I'll let you know when there is more information regarding the book, and I'll poke around the site a little.

Enjoy,

Mixerman

Mostly in Melbourne, which I just fucking love.

I knew there was something I liked about this guy! Eat it up Sydlosers that's an endorsment from the top.

Oh boy...now I'm going to be the darling of the Melbourners, and hated by the Sydnians. Can't we all just get along?

I'm rather partial to St. Kilda. Love it there, although I must admit, I root for Essendon in footy. Love the footy. The first time I walked out of the game, I just couldn't stop yelling "BAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLL!"

My Aussie friends always die laughing when I talk about smokin' a fatty before the footy.

Put another shrimp on the barbie?

PRAWN!

Enjoy,

Mixerman

^ All good mate, the Melbourne/Sydney rivalry goes waaaay back, we just like hangin shit on our northsiders round here, they give as good as they get :(

Fatty before the footy - nice one, sounds like a plan  8) and my dad goes for Essendon, in good company!

Oh boy...now I'm going to be the darling of the Melbourners, and hated by the Sydnians. Can't we all just get along?

I'm rather partial to St. Kilda. Love it there, although I must admit, I root for Essendon in footy. Love the footy. The first time I walked out of the game, I just couldn't stop yelling "BAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLL!"

My Aussie friends always die laughing when I talk about smokin' a fatty before the footy.

Put another shrimp on the barbie?

PRAWN!

Enjoy,

Mixerman

;D

... and he loves St Kilda  , I think you just made some friends around here without even knowing it .

;D , yea the Mel/Syd argument is always a barrel of laughs ..

Get a tan you melbournian . .