Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AnthonyEhsani

BIG HELP EQUIPMENT NOOB POST!!!

31 posts in this topic

okay guess what.

My brother (out of all the people) recently moved out, and now he's all independant and stuff, and he feels that he needs to take care of me somehow (he didn't have as good as a childhood as mine lol)

and he's like "I'll give you a couple grand to help you do your producer shit that your doing, but promice me you wont chuck it out like the spoilt brat you are."

Okay so im thinking just buying like 3 or 4 or 5 g's worth of stuff and giving him the paylist ;)

I've already ordered my soundcard, so thats no biggie. and i have studio monitors

Hard synth:

I might go with a SH-201

but if you had the choice between a xiosynth (heard these are MAD for the price and can be a midi controller and audio interface) or a microkorg (vocoder baby, and they look solid)... or the SH-201 (heard awesome things about this, thats why im leaning towards them..) which would you go....or even if you could point out other ones that i didnt know of or list it would be great!!

I WANT A GROOVEBOX (but i'm not sure whether i should scrap that idea and just get a better hard synth)

RS7000 - Korg Electribe SX or MX 1

If i dont go with the Groovebox choice

Then i'll definetely get a Nord lead 2x (love them), but again i think the SH-201 is really good for me to learn on.

Fuck , what a champ of a brother ... Make sure you buy him a good few beers with that money ...

Id say buy the X-Station over the XIO synth ,  the interface is dope for controlling all your softsynths , not just your X .....

I own an Electribe EMX1 , and its awesome , good fun ... Definite idea starter ...  Although the cult following with the RS7000 might swing you that way ...  The KORG is cheaper , and newer ...  But im not an RS user so I couldnt tell you to much about them ...

Yea the nords are dope ;) ...

Thats a pretty nice gesture mate , be sure to let him know you appreciate it !

I know ay ;) I'm going over there now ;) give him my love, and have a few beers

cya folks hope to see some more comments when i get back

I think it's a good idea to define your workflow now.

Where do you want to be sequencing? Software or hardware? Then build your studio up around that.

If you're working in Live, for example, then a groovebox-style device, however fun and surprisingly capable in the right hands, may tie up funds/time/effort in something that may not serve you long-term when you find yourself producing soley in a computer sequencing environment.

For the new-to-synthesizer-sound-design n00b, a hardware synth, complete with a high knob/slider-to-parameter ratio, will escalate your learnings/experience with the necessary rudimentary synthesis concepts.

That http://www.roland.com/products/en/SH-201/index.html is a funny ol' thing. Yeah, looks the business as far as ease of use with the knobs/sliders, just wish Roland hadn't dumbed it down, psuedo-retro-stylee, by stripping out modern features such a basic LCD, and only 32preset + 32user patch/sound memories. Would sh!t me to tears, I think, and I haven't even heard it! ;D How much are those things, anyway? They're busting to justify even AUD$1500... propably should by around the grand mark.

Why not check out second-hand? There was a Yamaha AN1x over on TSWDNSO for around $600. 10 years old, and same polyphony as that SH-201, but with larger 128 patch memory, great display and deeper architecture.

And while hardware synths can often lack the depth of, say, a full REAKTOR software suite, the former is going to get you loving programmming a heck of a lot faster, and a whole lot more fun. Then you can move on to the more abstract concepts as your understanding of the basics grows.

I don't really need LCD :P , so I reckon stripping the moderm features I'm getting like the RAW product if you know what I mean :S

I completely agree that a full on hardware synth can totally put a new-to-synthesis n00b completely off. But the SH-201 looks really good in terms of getting the basics of everything then learn other concepts. ie. moving on to a different type of synthesis, advanced software synths etc etc

Okay boys, so the likely product is the Roland SH-201 :):D (or do you think the nord lead 2x would be about the same to learn on?!?!.. I highly doubt it though)

Okay boys, so the likely product is the Roland SH-201 :):D (or do you think the nord lead 2x would be about the same to learn on?!?!.. I highly doubt it though)

And the winner is...

I definately would NOT get a Nord Lead. I've heard a few bad things about them and apparently customer service from Clavia sucks.

The owner of v7music has had first hand experience of this(and he's not the only one)...

CLICK HERE TO READ MORE

if his fingers are fat... no mircokorg

i and my thin fingers personally love all things korg

my fingers are too fat for guitar, but just the right size to play the good ol KEYTAR microkorg lolol

But looks like the NORD LEAD 2X WINS

(or do you think the nord lead 2x would be about the same to learn on?!?!.. I highly doubt it though)

Why do you highly doubt it? :)

They're actually surprisingly similar, sharing the same 'hands-on' parameters.

One looks, feels, and acts like a professional piece of kit, with useful polyphony/multi-timbrality, hundreds of sounds on-board, and thousands more avail off the net, and can honestly boast a genuine heritage in electronic music as we know it.

The other is a Roland. :P

I definately would NOT get a Nord Lead. I've heard a few bad things about them and apparently customer service from Clavia sucks.

The owner of v7music has had first hand experience of this(and he's not the only one)...

CLICK HERE TO READ MORE

Interesting. Isolated case? Just an issue with this model?

I've no doubt that Clavia don't have money to toss around given their uber-expensive "Made In Sweden" tag and today's mp3-generation that'll blow $5k on the latest Mac Pro just to run the latest (Not)Nord® plug-in krack off a torrent.

Still, widely publicised incidents don't do them any favours either.

I just want my ddrum5 to come to fruition. Too bad that Roland's set to blow that possibility out of the water too. And Roland does have excellent aftersales support.

Hmm... decisions, decisions.

Well, all the artists I love, have a nord lead and some of them swear by it.

I want one bad, but thought that it would be like all the other expensive synths = really hard and not very good to learn on, and to learn the basics

But spectrum has his way of showing me the light

So nord lead 2x it is. LOL

Lot of live guys use the nords ...  I watched the d00d from the Dukes of Windsor bash on a nord lead 2 like it owed him money ...  it was flying off the stand ...

Well, all the artists I love, have a nord lead and some of them swear by it.

It's also a producer's tool, designed for a studio environment, where it can be treated to whatever effects goodies one can thrown at it.

On it's own, it may sound a little lacklustre without even a hint of reverb to provide a bit of space around it.

Not such a drama when one works from the mindset that effects, such as delays and reverbs, are best tailored to the track you're working on, rather than embedded in the patch you're playing.

Recording synths - with effects - can cause issues come mixdown, and they're often disabled in my synths.

This ideology applies to 'real life' sounds too. One wouldn't (normally) record a vocalist with the compressors, delays and 'verbs engaged. Too much of a task trying to work around it later.

In the shop, however, the Roland SH-201 may provide greater instant gratification from its swamped-in-reverb demos.

Lot of live guys use the nords ...  I watched the d00d from the Dukes of Windsor bash on a nord lead 2 like it owed him money ...  it was flying off the stand ...

haha.. nice! :)

And where would psytrance be today if it weren't for some wacky red synth from the land that brought you IKEA?

how much would the nord weigh?

benefit of korg would be easier to gig..

How visible would the Korg be at gigs?

Hybrid%20@%20Ultra%202.jpg

Benefit of the Nord would be easier for the punter to see.. :)

(*Awaits trainspotter to cry out that Hybrid don't own/use Nords) ;D