Cheyne

n00bs Forum - Please Read

10 posts in this topic

So as its title suggests , this is a forum for all you n00bs out there who would like to ask that question that your worried about getting flamed for.

This forum will also help keep the most generic n00b questions out of the other forums and give them their own home, sparing some of the more senior members from answering the same questions over and over again.

"Whats the best sequencer?"

"Whats the best n00b synth to buy"

"What the hell are MIDI channels?"

etc etc

So if your a n00b and your struggling with something , ask your question here ! ...  This is a flame free forum , so fear not , just ask ;).

Having said that , this is a n00b questions only forum ,  if you have general questions about hardware or a software package ,  please ask them in the correct forum for it .... .. Ie Cubase , or Hardware Synth etc ....

This forum is mainly intended for general questions beginners might have that they dont know how to categorize.

ie ..    Please only direct your general basic questions here ...

Questions like  "Automating the Cubase compressor ?"  should be asked in the Cubase forum , not here ...

Questions like "What should I buy to start out ?" or "How much will I need for a basic setup?"  can be asked in here ....   

So please , if your asking a question about a topic thats already got a category , please ask it in the appropriate category.  Cheers ...

Hey Guys,

So here it comes the ultimate in n00b I could come up with. I am not trying to be annoying but I am generally interested. I dont know much about DJing but all I know is that I want to get into it, it seems like an amazing thing and I have wanted to do it for such a long time. Ok so all I know is that for a setup I need is 2 decks a mixer and some sound gear. I know about beat matching and beat juggling and other such things. I just really want some basic gear to play around with what would you guys suggest and are there any great sites on the net with some tutorials? Sorry about this.

Hey Guys,

So here it comes the ultimate in n00b I could come up with. I am not trying to be annoying but I am generally interested. I dont know much about DJing but all I know is that I want to get into it, it seems like an amazing thing and I have wanted to do it for such a long time. Ok so all I know is that for a setup I need is 2 decks a mixer and some sound gear. I know about beat matching and beat juggling and other such things. I just really want some basic gear to play around with what would you guys suggest and are there any great sites on the net with some tutorials? Sorry about this.

Dont be sorry mate ;)  ..  There are great sites around to get into DJ'ing ... and your at one :P ..    Im sure if you posted a  "Beginners DJ'ing Setup" thread in the General DJ'ing forum ,  our friendly mod Jay Parker would be glad to help you out .... ;)

http://www.soundpunk.com/index.php?board=37.0

Long story short , all you need to start is money ....  The turn tables and mixer + records cost a bit of cash , but once your setup , your laughing .. its all fun ....     

DJ'ing is really quite simple ...  You'll be up and playing at your mates party's before it gets hard .... and thats only when you want it to be ....  You'll teach your self beat mixing in no time,  then after that , you can slowly begin to teach your self other techniquies ... scratching , key matching , and maybe get into sampling with some external hardware ....

But the point is , these arent required for you to be able to mix ....      That parts pretty easy , its what you do with it afterwards that becomes harder , and its all optional , but it will make you a better DJ ;) ...

Just be prepared to outlay a few hundred in the first place ....      or if your serious , you'd want to outlay a good $1600  for some descent gear ....      Save you needing to upgrade in the near future if you decide you want to continue with it ..

ok...so this is definitely a n00b question.  i just bought fl studio 8.  i have messed with it but there is SOOOOOOOOOOO much stuff that i am overwhelmed.  where can i go to learn about everything in it?  ive watched a lot of tutorials but its not really helping.  thx!

have you watched the vids on www.flstudio.com - they are pretty decent and have lots of stuff aimed at the beginners.

Also the helpfiles have a pretty good description of what everything does - so perhaps spend a bit of time going through those. I also recommend going through some of the demo songs and tutorials that come with FL Studio as they will help give you a nuts and bolts perspective on how a song is created.

If you have specific questions about certain functionalities - post a question here or in the softwareAll the rest thread and we can try and help you.

Hey guys,

I'm using garage band and I want to pan an individual track for a certain duration in a song. I've tried using fade out under track, but it brings up the master volume which increases or decreases volume of all the tracks only. Are you able to do this in garage band? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by ear_candy

ok im not entirely a n00b but have never had formal education on sound engineering and it is starting to catch up with me. I have experience as a sound technician and currently I work for a small SMALL church and am in charge of the entire worship department (music, sound, visual) and im wondering if anyone has any online resources for a introduction to sound engineering, perhaps with a focus on live sound...for free lol

What specifically are you looking to find more info on? The whole "live sound mixing" gig or is there some specific thing you're trying to target?