Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lightsabers

Break beat patterns.

43 posts in this topic

Why not write the loop using Cruelbase, Ablertron or PooTools and then screen capture the loop youve writtein in midi, posting it on the forum as JPG or GIF (etc.)? Will be what i do when i get access to Cruelbase again.

PS: Women were sooo hawt in Singapore. Taaaaasty  :cans:

;D @ singapore women ... be warned though ! some of those girls are carrying extra luggage if you feel me  ;D

but thats a good idea about the screen cap ! ...  someone do it ;)

Get this book, it's fantastic. Even as someone who has no wishes to bash at a kit I found it useful for getting my head around what makes a breakbeat sound like it does.

^ (tr 1, 3, 7)... crikey now that's kick programming!

I think that's called a 'break-speaker' pattern, which is a special variant of break-beat where the objective is to, well, obviously, blow cones out with extreme excursion.

:bang:

I think the key to good breaks is the way that the kick interacts with your bassline. Try writing a bassline first, and then dropping some kick in the gaps.

I think the key to good breaks is the way that the kick interacts with your bassline. Try writing a bassline first, and then dropping some kick in the gaps.

yes sir

^^ i dont think i have tried doing that yet - may give that a wizz tonight

no wonder my basses never fit my awesomely programmed beats...

A basic break pattern:

Kick on steps: 1,11,14

Snare on steps: 5,13

An advanced version of the pattern above is to have a kick sounding fx sample with some added release on it:

kick fx on steps: 1,3,7,11,13,14

A Drum and Bass pattern that uses ghost hits:

Kick: 1,9

snare: 5,8(ghost),11, 14

Hihat: on all odd numbers plus on 8

Advanced:

Kick: 1,3,10,14

Snare: 5,(8,10)ghost,11,13(ghost),16

hihat: same as above

A cool thing that you could do with this pattern is put it on a percussion and cymbal kit and make the "main" kit like this:

Kick: 3, 11

Snare: 5, 13

Hope this helps.

I've never really had any problem writing broken beats, I've always been a very rhythmic person though. I wouldn't say copying is a good idea, but at least analysing breaks or the drum track of like, a funk band tune is probably a good way to get a feel of what works.

while it might be a good source of inspiration, I wouldn't rely on plugins to create variations on a breakbeat pattern. there should be some kind of human element in there (depending on the feel you're going for).

Lots of good ideas here..I have found this to be a hard concept also, I think this is because the beat in breakbeat has to

sell it self and be genuine, sampled or programmed..Lots of tricks mentioned above, plus things like drum layering http://www.soundpunk.com/index.php?topic=88.0 and timing with swing function.Also try inputing the kicks with a

drum style interface, now thats as real as it gets.. Most of all I don't think there is a cure all for the breaks sound, just good hard work and experimentation then your sound will emerge that way...IMO of course. :cans: Other forums and some producers don't like to share this type of stuff because they un evolved and think that only they are going make it, sorry apes ;)Thats my personal rant.. Peace out punksters ;)

A basic break pattern:

Kick on steps: 1,11,14

Snare on steps: 5,13

An advanced version of the pattern above is to have a kick sounding fx sample with some added release on it:

kick fx on steps: 1,3,7,11,13,14

A Drum and Bass pattern that uses ghost hits:

Kick: 1,9

snare: 5,8(ghost),11, 14

Hihat: on all odd numbers plus on 8

Advanced:

Kick: 1,3,10,14

Snare: 5,(8,10)ghost,11,13(ghost),16

hihat: same as above

A cool thing that you could do with this pattern is put it on a percussion and cymbal kit and make the "main" kit like this:

Kick: 3, 11

Snare: 5, 13

Hope this helps.

that my friend is a killer first post ;)

also there is nothing like a good education on breaks, look to the classics james brown, sly and the family stone and the like. listening to that kind of stuff will give you ideas of patterns you could try