Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lightsabers

Break beat patterns.

43 posts in this topic

Well since this thread got pretty much ignored on all the other forums, might as well try here. Anyway, here goes:

I'm looking for drum patterns for break beat and drum & bass, i'm not talking about finished loops or samples, just simple pattern maps and guides.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanx.

8)

Good topic idea...

....just give me a few days. My evil week of work is about to begin.  :bang:

Anyone else like to get the ball rolling?  :)

So why specifically are you looking for drum patterns, do you want some one else to do the work for you or are you just looking for a starter??

Iv got something on this you might be interested in ....  ill post it back in a day :) ...

And what gear are you using, and what roadblocks are you facing?

Look! 5 replies in one day, best site ever, or what?!! :)

Basically i'm sick of 4/4 beats and want to expand my opus to more break beat based styles, so i guess you can call it a starter. I pretty much figured out the basic stuff by now (and this doesn't mean that even the basic tips aren't welcome), but learning more of what's been done before can't hurt. The reason is exploration, really.

I'm mostly using Reason, Ableton and Cubase but other stuff is welcome too.

Ummm... probably don't want to hear this... but breakbeat is still 4/4. You're just dropping bits in and out, and adding 'off beat' components to 'break' the flow up. Mah... maybe you're talking "4 to the floor" style beats.

Look! 5 replies in one day, best site ever, or what?!! ;)

;)  heheh ...

Lightsabers:  Tell your mates to come join the site  ...  We need members !  Then we can all bounce info off each other :)

Iv got some break beat patterns at home  ... ill see if I can find them tonight ;)

Unfortunatelly, i don't have that many friends that are interested in this kind of stuff.

Get more friends. Now. And be quick about it!

;D  hahaha

aaaanywho - being a drummer, I've never found it hard to write a breakbeat... plus having a Roland TD20 3 metres from my desk @ work lets me have a bash and save the midi file so I can 'hit it with a dash of my spice-weasel - BAM'  at home!!

spice-weasel - BAM'  at home!!

:wtf: Where's the masturbation emoticon? ;D

:wtf: Where's the masturbation emoticon? ;D

;D  id imagine it would be some spin off from -> :pissingmonkey:

what about bukkake.gif (bukkake) or wank.gif or op.gif (slap'n'cum). You know what... i think you need to add all 3!!!

Oooh.. .and while you're at it:

3some=3some.gif and horse=horse.gif and fart=fart2.gif

That'll do for now. I'll have no need to type anything with sooo many emoticons :P

OK - back on topic. Have you tried starting with a standard 4 to the floor loop, and moving things to the off beat? You might like to start by trying one kick at the start of your 4/4 bar, muting the next logical kick, then on the 3rd kick, putting a double kick with the second on a 16th after the on beat kick. The idea then would be to throw some snare/tom type sounds on the off beat following the kicks.... and then experimenting with tripples on hats back on beat.

Another way to 'get your head around it' would be to try and program beats to match someone elses drum line. If you wanted to post a drum.track sample you'd like to try and program from another producer, then i recon between us we can explain where the beats are being placed to give what effect, and you should be able to replicate it in midi yourself :P

Good idea, let's try it.

But first, i'm not having a problem replicating a pattern i heard in a tune, i was hoping for a collection of patterns so that i can experiment with different stuff and eventually find a style i can play with.

Anyway, just to get the ball rolling here's a sample to decipher:

www.deckadents.com/break1.mp3

Feel free to add your own samples.

:cans:

Hi all

For doing my breaks I mainlybuild pattern via midi based on classics like the amen break and ect ( Amen break is easy to reproduce note by note but you will have to work yourself around to make it groove if you want something suitable )

After I use

-Ableton live follow action function, combined with clip enveloppe,sample offset automation and live timestrech function you can achieve some really nice breaks In worst case you will find good start variation

-suppratrigga pluggin ( free) Recording a long audio sequence and cut the good parts for furtehr build

-Dblue glitch pluggin ( free) This one have a pattern sequencer, its easyful to manage and predict the output

-Livecut from smart electronix ( free) same as suppratrigga

-Heizenbox ( not free) good one but I use it rarely

-Devine machine Lucifer The developper Steve have stopped to sell it for now but this is the ultimate pluggin for that kind of stuff, Highly predictable and build for realtime playing. All auomatable and the soft is really stable.Should be back to be sell online in the next few month.

- Native instrument reaktor 5, some home made ensembles or some library ones.

- Plogue bidule for midi control over a midi loop or the stuff that surround it

- Pure data: its free, a total pain in the ass to learn, nearly the  same thing than max msp form cycling 74 so you can use max tutorial

The 3 last one have some big learning curve but once you dig in soft like that you will never go back.

Hope it helps

best

Wow , awesome first post blank ;)  Big ups ..  I like your techniques too  ...

And welcome to soundpunk ;) 

You can also point some example of what kind of stuff you are trying to achieve.

Like a band example.

There is tons of way to work stuff that way but some are more suitable for some subtype of breakbeats music genre.

I was also pretty bugged off when posting about this too :).

This type of threads is prolly cursed as you said.

cheers

Anyway, just to get the ball rolling here's a sample to decipher:

www.deckadents.com/break1.mp3

That's actually quite an interesting pattern. With the bassline stabs sitting off-the-beat making it initially hard to find the first beat of the bar. I must later go back and hear it on real speakers to get a feel for the kick drums.

From there, how'd you like it deciphered on a forum? ;) The formatting tends to become skewed when attempting to get things lined up on the page.

eg.

x......x...x....x...x

...x.....x.x....x...x

x..x..x..x..x..x...x

What would be quite cool is if there were a web-based 16step drum sequencer that one could use to display such patterns.