Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
masturfader

whats everone using for drums?

85 posts in this topic

OK, so seriously: are you wondering why someone would use one specific VSTi instead of, say, a bunch of samples?

yeah pretty much. I use FL predominantly for my writing but am slowly trying to migrate to pro-tools (not doing so well yet).. my main reason for changing is that I am starting to notice how FL colours everything and don't particularly like it.. I love the workflow however. But really just wondering if it is worth getting a dedicated plugin or rewiring FL.

yeah pretty much. I use FL predominantly for my writing but am slowly trying to migrate to pro-tools (not doing so well yet).. my main reason for changing is that I am starting to notice how FL colours everything and don't particularly like it.. I love the workflow however. But really just wondering if it is worth getting a dedicated plugin or rewiring FL.

Re: Drums in Pro Tools....

Have you loaded up Xpand! yet? While just a ROMpler, it's got a handful of drum samples to play with, and it's free.

It'd be nice if Pro Tools came with a simple x0x -style drum sequencer of some sort, so for now one's left with banging them in by hand (or pencil tool) and quantising/swing/groove-template them to taste.

so what are the advantages of using a specific drum plugin?

my $0.02

I use stylus rmx for pretty much all the drums. It has a unique interface and is a different way of working.

As i see it, there's 2 main way of doing drum patterns, using a step sequencer (i.e hardware machinedrum or software drumazon/redrum etc), or loading up a bunch of samples and putting the hits in a midi track with a GM map pointing at the sampler.

I have never been very successful coming up with things im happy with either way.

Stylus is imo a third way of doing things. It's not step sequencing and its not patterns via midi. You start with a basic loop then use the tools provided in its interface (edit groups and the chaos designer) along with host automation to bend it to your will. You can do similar things with ableton now as noted here http://www.soundpunk.com/index.php?topic=1350.0

I spent a fair bit of time getting to know it's ins and outs (a pun lol), and every other day i seem to find a new neat thing to do with it. The all important thing is at the end of the day i'm happy with the results, something which was never the case with the step sequence/midi route.

Everyone is different and its about finding what works for you. Take some time and explore the different options and find what you like.

all that said id love to take a machinedrum for a whirl :)

No not yet!! lol... i keep going to work in tools and get distracted by how easy i find it to write in FL.. but i will give xpand a crack as well....

Wow. Going from FL to PT...my heart goes out to you; that must be difficult!

But hold on: you honestly think FL "colors" the sound and Pro Tools doesn't? Interesting. The same wave files should sound the same in pretty much any host on the same setup. FL is a quality program (even though I know it gets a rep as a hobbyist-only host). I'm sorry, but I find this hard to believe; is this something I don't know about FL Studio?