Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
masturfader

whats everone using for drums?

85 posts in this topic

That was fast! You don't miss a trick, Cheyne! :P

I should also state my favourite for electronic drums, which is usually Kontakt 2 with the ancient AKAI collection, Dance Mega Drums II - excellent collection, all you ever need. I also love to cut up REX files in Kontakt for beats too.

Sometimes I like to use fully synthetic drums, for the fun, dexterity and originality of it all. E-Phonic Drumatic 3 is awesome, and since there are quite a few drum synths, I might just grab one from a KVR search, do a tune with it and put it in the archive folder if I don't touch it for awhile, but Drumatic 3 always stays.

Drumazon 909 emulator for 909 kicks and toms and the rimshot pitched right down (DROOL)

Nepheton for 808 sounds (MEGA DROOL)

Sometimes Drumatic, although it runs like shit on my PC - for some reason it just will nmot keep time :)

Battery 2 for everything else

Ah, so your name is not that kind of "acid"! ;D

Well, that's weird. I just checked KVR, and I can't find any mention of timing problems with Drumatic...bizarre... It is made with Synth Edit, some setups just don't like it as much as others. I experience some weird graphics bugs with some plugins that no one else gets, so sometimes you just get your own, "special" problem. Yay.

Guys, I'm an ex-crack addict - I've had a bit of moral re-enlightenment lately.

I plan to buy Battery, as its one of the last two remaining pieces of cracked software that I use. However, I've noticed I can get Kontakt 2 (edu) for like $360 or something. Seeing as I will need a sampler at some stage, I'm thinking I might as well buy Kontakt and use that for drums from now on. For those of you with experience, does it work well for drums or is Battery still the go? Also, what is Halion like? Are there any other VSTs I should consider?

I'm on PC, using Cubase Studio 4, if that has anything to do with possible Halion intergration (Steinberg camp). ;)

Well, speaking as a Cubase and Kontakt guy, I've been using Kontakt for all my sampled drum needs since it came out in '02. Battery's a nifty program, and if the cell way of doing things seems logical to you, you might prefer Battery, but Kontakt is so much more than a drum sampler and will provide you a more logical interface for importing/creating melodic instruments. Loading a multi-timbral orchestra into Battery? Ich don't think so.

Kontakt provides a much larger zone-editing area, which enables you to edit complex velocity layers, groups, keyswitches, etc, more easily. Battery has those tiny little windows; OK for drum samples, a PITA for melodic stuff.

Kontakt is quickly becoming a standard format, so you've got direct access to many libraries. I've never been crazy about HALion (in fact, I chose Kontakt over HAL even when HAL was red hot, back in the day), the interface is bitchy and few are supporting the format these days, I think it's on the way out.

So, for $360, I think it's the way to go. Nothing else touches Kontakt right now, it's fun to work with for drum samples and is more extensible than Battery.

Looks like I'm going halves on Komplete 4 with my production buddy :P

EXCITEMENT!!11

Worth every cent ;)  ...  FM8 owns ! ...  Im not sure if Massive still comes in some deal with it all ? but if it does , id jump on it quick if I were you , massive is wicked.

Nah, seems Massive comes in the "Synth pack" or something seperate.

Not too fussed. I'll have Korg Legacy, V-Station, z3ta+, FM8, Reaktor, Pro-53, Atmosphere and Nexus; should be enough for now! ;)

battery = simplicity ,  kontakt = complex how deep do you really wanna go with your drums??  battery is so quick and easy setting up custom kits  kontakt is a pain to do but gives you a million more options

battery = simplicity ,  kontakt = complex how deep do you really wanna go with your drums??  battery is so quick and easy setting up custom kits  kontakt is a pain to do but gives you a million more options

Funny; the opposite would be true for me.

I gotta admit, I can't name any single system for making drums. All have their advantages.. But for a list (sort of), let's see: (This is mainly what I used to use -> Since I switched to OSX I can't use these anymore =( )

Synthetic drum sound making:

Optik / Minimal (nice kick shaping parameters)

Dystopia (nice hihats)

Freqatic (fm drums! mmmm...)

Drumazon (damn good)

Nepheton

Casio CZ5000 (nothing sounds quite like PD drums)

Drumatic3 (usually I only use the clap on this one - one of the best synth clap modules IMO)

Usually, you can get quite nice kicks / snares with many softsynths by messing around with sinewaves and noise.. Xhip sometimes gives me very good snare sounds. If the envelopes are nicely designed, one can get massive kicks out of many machines.

Samplebased drum sound making:

Apari MK28 (the kit slider is way too fun =)

Ableton Live's Impulse (This is my fave nowadays for sampled hits)

Battery (Only when I want tons of modulation options)

Lunchbox Battles (for those retro moments..I used to jam alot with the Boss DR550, the workflow is quite similar)

For ethnic perx, I often use Safwan Matni's percussion module (forgot the name already, sorry)

But, heck, sometimes I want to record some hits/juggles from a turntable, or mic something up.. All depends so much on the production (Do I want acoustic sounds? Electronic? Something in between? Do I want a cheap sounding kit or a "Classy one"? The list goes on and on....)

Gotta try those EZdrummer etc. thingys some day.. although I still prefer going to my mate's training place to record real cans instead, but having those would be a lot more convenient..

I too have way too many drum samples.. My favourite set nowadays has to be Stylus RMX.. It always seems to have the right sounds for any style I can think of :) Not forgetting "Dance Megadrums" .. while not too Hi-Fi by today's standards, the "Mattel Kit" is still one of my most loved 'uns!

But of course, the dry drum sounds are only the tip of the iceberg.. Using the right kind and amount of saturation is what usually shapes individual sounds to my liking. Also, using a compressor "incorrectly" can sometimes make a weird kick sound "usable". And for those productions where I really want 1st-class drum sounds, layering 2-4 sounds into one is a must!

for ages i was laying out audio on the grid manually

but have recently gone back to writing all the beats in midi, using 1 or 2 impulses in ableton, the more i play with impulse the better i get it to sound - i think its all i need to be honest

i try and layer up some sounds in soundforge before i start to save making a mess inside the DAW

does anyone know a vst step sequencer? something like reasons redrum? something thats got a step interface and will send midi so i can point it at battery/stylus rmx. i had a look on kvr but couldn't see anything that looked like what i wanted

my friend leant me his mc-303 and i find using steps a lot better than using the cubase gm map. not quite ready to sell some stuff to get a machinedrum :)