Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jay Parker

Djing Technology

12 posts in this topic

The digital format is here to stay and thus the tech savvy DJ has a whole new barrage of tools available to him/ her.

Software like Ableton live, Trackor and M-Audios Torq package, manipulated via controllers of various shapes and sizes. Ones that emulate a CD player or Turntable type of interface to more production style boxes of faders , buttons and dials.

More and more i am seeing DJ's grab this technology by the horns and some are producing magical results where as others are essentially being the juke box master if you will.

So this is a thread to talk about DJing Techonolgy. Where do you see it heading?

What products do you see on the horizon...

This is the Djs Tech and gear lust thread...  :cans:

xponent.jpg

As i was flitting around the M-Audio Site i just found this little baby.

Except for all these DJ type controllers being generally a 2 channel affair, i think that this is a step in the right direction. Now only if M-Audio could get their drivers stable...

Torq Xponent is a cutting-edge performance system that brings professional-grade control to the world of the computer-based DJ. Engineered by M-Audio’s SynchroScience Design Group, the package includes the Torq DJ software that’s revolutionizing digital DJing and the Xponent hardware control surface that puts all that power right at your fingertips. With full-size tactile controls, an integrated USB audio interface and intuitive MIDI-learn capabilities, Torq Xponent bridges the gap between traditional DJ hardware and today’s powerful performance software once and for all. This completely integrated system combines the features of a standard two-channel DJ mixer with the controls of a pair of DJ CD players, letting you cue, mix and scratch digital files without touching the host computer.[/Quote]

Nice one JJ ;)  ...

I like the look on this controller , it definitely looks like a step in the right direction ...  Id be curious to see how people can use those large jog dials to good use ...      looks like theres plenty of knobs and knockers to assign on it too ...  ;) ...

I cant tell you how hard i was looking for a controller with faders AND an x-fader when i was getting into ableton DJing ...  I know the x-fader was just a small fader on its side , but it makes all the difference when your so used to a conventional mixer :)

Its funny you say that, as i was taught to dj by using the channel faders and not the cross fader. So i see it as being fairly redundant. Though i can see the value of an assignable midi control cross fader, but i still reckon that instead of the cross fader we would be better off having another channel at least.

Its breaking the habbit thats hard i suppose...  when your so used to moving left and right .. moving up and down feels foreign  ...

I'm the same as Jay...I was self taught using Channel faders with treble/mid/bass on each channel as well as gain. the only thing we used CD's for back in the day was rare... it was them black disk things we used to use.... made of plastic stuff... I forget their names.... 12 inches springs to mind but that might have just been a dirty weekend at a farm or something? ;D

The mAudio thing above looks like it would fit in perfect with the likes of Virtual DJ Studio as it would match the (virtual) buttons perfectly.

I've mucked about with the packages and had a bit of mixing fun, but that crossfader lark is not for me. Saying that Virtual DJ Studio is top class with a decent soundcard and can work perfectly for Live radio WebCasts!!

I know that the Native Instruments stuff is the staple diet of many a DJ, I prefer something that looks like a turntable and that plays nice with oddcast.

how about dvj type stuff?

Kentaro (dmc champ)

6kbzvva_vAY

Hifana (recurring theme in my posts)

vkU7LKkurDk

brux, whats the pioneer unit above the mixer visible in the last few seconds of last vid? any idea?

It's a VSW-1 i think.  http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/44/216/2183/VSW-1/index.html

Just switching the video outputs from the CDJ's back and forth.  for the most part the video is controlled by the long haired dude, but then beanie guy reaches out and hits VSW-1(catchy name, isn't it) and then his video is showing.  Only for a brief bit, but you can see what it does.

xponent.jpg

So an opportunity came up to deliver some mainstream friendly 80s/90s/00s/10s party tunage for an upcoming work function (which seems to as of today scrapped the awesome open air rooftop venue, in favour of someone's backyard, and consequently scrapped the need for some dance floor action, but anyway I degress), and I thought, hey, I have Torq LE licensed and ready to go on the laptop, so I've had some fun over the past couple of weeks giving it a whirl.

I know, I know, I'm 5 years behind the 8 ball here, but really really cool! And totally does away with the beat matching skills for the most part (if one can at least get the 4 / 16 / 32 bar structure of dance music, then they should be reasonably on track with it all).

Seems a controller like this would be the biz for the hands-on control factor, being able to close one's eyes and tweak two things at once (versus mouse-while-looking-at-a-screen approach for everything). Wasn't Captain Terrfic on here carting one around hotel rooms a few years back? Still using it by chance?

Anyway uber fun nonetheless.