Jay Parker

The CDJ Thread

14 posts in this topic

So, with the digital age well and truely upon us and CDJ's being the firm fave amongst

pro's and guys just starting out, i figured we need to have a thread for them.

So what have you got?

What would you like if you havent got?

What are your likes/ Dislikes?

Fave unit, pioneer? vestax? Numark? Denon? etc...

If you have any questions on them, fire away and i will do my best to answer them ;)

Just got delivery of this little monster. With two of these, you could reduce an entire set to 2 usb ram-drives... Excuse the Numark propoganda below, I couldn't really be arsed giving it a review as I haven't given it a run 'on the job' - only fiddled with it at work when the music stopped...

icdx_overview.jpg

iCDX

PROFESSIONAL DIGITAL AUDIO PLAYER AND SOFTWARE CONTROLLER

PLAY MULTIPLE FORMATS AND CONTROL MULTIPLE DEVICES, SEAMLESSLY, INCLUDING THE APPLE IPOD®. *

The iCDX lets you access, manipulate and play all of your media from one powerful controller. With its built–in CD/Data DVD drive and USB ports for connecting external devices such as a USB flash drive, hard drives, the iCDX provides a seemingly infinite amount of song selection.

The iCDX is the perfect interface to use with a wide variety of popular DJ software packages, like CUE and Serato Scratch. Utilizing an ultrafast HID interface, controlling your computer has never been more powerful.

With its power and control, the iCDX is revolutionizing the industry as a media player and computer controller.

The thing is with more consumer - ish type products like this is they have the right ideas, but are often poorly implemented. Though this sort of technology should be present in the next versions of Denon and Pioneer players to stay ahead of the game, as the market is getting larger by the day and the more consumer type gear is gaining more and more acceptance in the market place.

This type of innovation is a good thing. My point is that i would like to see the bigger players adopt some of this technology.

i've got a cdj800 MKI, a vestax cdx-05 and when the dickhead who's selling me his cdj finally manages to answer his phone or whatever i'll have another cdj800 but a MKII. After this I reckon I will be selling my CDJ800 MKI and my CDX-05 as well as a 1200 mkII and picking up either another cdj800 MKII or a CDJ1000, though i doubt i'll end up with a 1000. Give yourself a pat on the back if you're managing to keep track of this paragraph.

I greatly prefer a 'hands-on' feel to all aspects of music, and although the cdx-05 is a great little unit, it's not the cdj for me. i like scratching lots and generally mucking around / manipulating things etc. I haven't used any other cdjs other than ones i have owned myself which is pretty annoying... A 'friend' (i use this term incredibly loosely) of mine just got a couple of cdj1000s and is one of these people that buys things purely because of the cred he thinks it will get him (he got a set of decks ages ago and i have seen him 'mix' and it is easily one of the most hilarious things i have ever seen and the worst part is he throws his arms all around and 'gets into it' when all he's doing it cutting randomly between two out of time records and touching buttons that don't even do anything and generally listening exclusively to the headphones so has no idea what people listening can hear etc, but alas i digress). That was a lot more words of drivel than i meant apologies.

Pretty much the only difference between the MK1 and MKII cdj800 is the MP3 support, though i haven't looked into this at all.

Unfortunately i bought myself a couple of cdjs when i began my foray into music, and on a couple of cdj800s can beatmix pretty much instantly and drop pretty much any tune and lock it really fast, however i'm still nowhere near up to the level i want to be with my 1200s yet, which is pretty annoying.

another thing is that i enjoy turntables soooooooo much more than cdjs, i don't know why this is i just do!

probably the most helter-skelter post i have ever made cheers

archie x x x x x

I've always used CDs so i've had a few in my time.  Started out with Numakr CDN 24 which was great to learn on.  Moved up to a CDN 35 which was cool but with no pitch bend buttons it was a tad annoying to use as the wheel had to be spun to get the tracks to mix, far from intuitive I thought.  At work I use Numark CDX, awesome pieces of kit, if excessively bulky.  But the FX and overall ease of use is second to nothing I've used up to this point.

I picked up a pair of Technics SLDZ 1200 players last year as they were heavily discounted at the time.  Worth $999 each but not worht the current asking price of $1750.  I like the idea of a spinning platter but that's just me.  The Technics have a few major flaws which I'm happy to overlook as they're really nice to mix with.

Happy to elaborate on any of the above if anyone wants more info!

I've got a DNS5000 that I scored for $200 from a Japanese friend.  Only thing is, it now doesn't seem to turn on.  BURN!

Can anyone recommend a repairer of these things?  I think somehow that it's the power supply...

Awesome unit though.  It's got two audio outputs, so you can actually beatmix two tracks off the one CD.  Would be great to have two, but at the retail price, that ain't gonna happen in a hurry...

I would first get in contact with someone like StoreDJ as they will more than likely be able to point you in the right direction.

Otherwise someone like factory sound will be able to get you in contact with the distro who will know who to talk to.

I would start with factory sound first. :)

I started off with the CDJ-400s and the DJM-400. I had just enough money to buy the one CDJ so couldn't do much mixing until I got the DJM and the other CDJ. Still a fun tool to play with. Been about 4 years now though and would like to upgrade. Thinking of getting the NI Kontrol S8 when that comes out. Looking like it's back to the decks rather than looking at the laptop constantly.