Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
masturfader

Logic Users?

48 posts in this topic

^^ Fantastic! Some more Logic users here! Keep it coming, and hopefully these threads will get nice and busy  :)

any thoughts on the new one?

my first impression: nice icon.

also very interested in the binaural panner - i heard some crazy holophonic track last year with some guy shaking a box of matches that yo could swear were being raised and lowered behind you - REALLY unnerving.

got logic 8 installed yesterday, played with it for 3hrs and got called into work doh'!  first impressions - slick interface - soo nice to work with.  lots of improvements in terms of workflow (as i expected).  little things like being able to hide active plug-ins, having the mixer, piano roll, hypereditor as buttons down the bottom, which just slide up when you click them.  no more need to adjust grid size in piano roll (16th's, 32, 64 etc) as it just adjusts with the view size.  when you set an aux to receive input from a channel the aux strip automatically gets moved next to that instrument channel.

delay designer is awesome - it's like an instrument unto itself!  ultrabeat is a lot better - although i still find battery easier for my samps / drums.

did i mention the interface looks nice?!  settings and menu's have been re-arranged which makes it easier and more logical.

there's heaps more but these are the main ones so far.

my only gripes with it so far is the the scroll-zooming is inverted!!!  aargh, although admittedly i'm finding it easy to adjust so it might be the correct way after all.  and you can't switch off the transport bar for more real-estate

yeah what's with the zooming haha. didn't think it was just me....

i reckon some of my songs booted up with a separate transport bar which could be closed, but then you're back to the modular screenset way of working which defeats the purpose of the new all-in-one workspace.

Not that i've noticed - has the usual template songs tho to help get you started. The manuals are a great read too hehe.

So I've heard that Logic 8 comes bundled with some other programs as well, such as a lite version of Final Cut - is this the case?

I've got a MB Pro set up with Logic 7 and am looking at making the upgrade pretty soon.

^ Don't know about the Final cut, but yes comes bundled with a range of apps. In the 'Final Cut' family you get Soundtrack, which is for making quick music beds for movies, and Logic itself has pretty seamless integration with QuickTime.

Otherwise it's music production tools like Apple Loops, Mainstage, Waveburner, etc.

http://www.apple.com/au/logicstudio/logicpro/

Apprently the new iMovie in iLife 08 is nearly as good as Final Cut Express, but only hearsay, no expert.

Logic Studio arrived this week! I'm itching to start playing again, just waiting for my damn iMac to be fixed :P

^ What's wrong with your Imac? I have one too - any heads up on reliability issues or is it a one-off problem?

It's the aluminium iMac that has problems. Keeps restarting spontaneously. Apparently it needs a new logic board because the SMC is stuffed. Not that uncommon, either. Waiting on the applecare repairer to get the part in. Will let you know how it goes.

*yay* more problems with the new iMacs... i'm getting one in a week. can't wait to see which horrors will plague mine.

It's the aluminium iMac that has problems. Keeps restarting spontaneously. Apparently it needs a new logic board because the SMC is stuffed. Not that uncommon, either. Waiting on the applecare repairer to get the part in. Will let you know how it goes.

Bummer  :P

I have the last white model before they went aluminium. Solid as a rock so far - touch wood!

Got the iMac :D

now songs that would previously max out my CPU run at less than half of one of my two available cores! Rad!!

Got the iMac :D

now songs that would previously max out my CPU run at less than half of one of my two available cores! Rad!!

;D

Just mental, ain't it!?!!

Finally made the update to Logic 8 and am loving it!  Changes made to ultrabeat are mad, delay designer is out of control too.  I'm also loving the fact that apple seems to have finally fixed the snapping issues that Logic 7 had, that was soooo annoying.  The other incredibly simple but hugely time saving option they've added (ripped from tools) is being able to easily just add new tracks into your song without having to touch the environment... 

OK Guys, i am in a position now where i may be able to go logic or Ableton.

Ableton works for me as i can use it for DJing, and production and then there is logic, the other Big DAW which being Mac based i am really keen to try out and see how it works.

Now i am really confused...

Perhaps get yourself Ableton for immediate usability and then save your pennies and get a student mate to get you an education copy of Logic down the track...

dammit, now i see your reply.

The education thing is a gimme i work for a Uni.

I think its what i am going to do.

Love your work as always.

dammit, now i see your reply.

The education thing is a gimme i work for a Uni.

I think its what i am going to do.

Love your work as always.

Yep it's easy for you then. If you didn't know Apple store online has an education section, choose your uni from a list and it takes you into the education prices. From there you just enter your staff ID when you place the order.

Otherwise going locally, I know that my dept uses a specific retailer. When I got my Imac I just emailed the store with my staff ID and home address, they invoiced me at education price and I just paid when I picked it up. No complicated institution orders :)

Yeah, i have enquired about that at my local Apple shop.

I got a massive bum steer. Was not impressed as we do a lot of business through them and i mean a lot.