Spectrum

What would you like to know?

39 posts in this topic

Well i am mainly software. sorry I wasnt clear. mainly using stuff in logic Es1 , sculpture. I just got massive and want to learn how to create my own grooves with it.

reading your reply again, I may not quite understand the question, sorry.

I'm getting a feel for what tutorials/articles might be of relevance. I've not used the plug-ins you mentioned, so my input may be limited as far as they're concerned.

You wrote:

"id like some info on different combinations of waveforms and the affect they have."

So, adding a square wave to a sawtooth? Or adding piano to a guitar? Something entirely different?

You wrote:

"also some tips on creating groove sequences."

Is that specific to the plug-in? Or creating beats in general?

You wrote:

Id really like "to know" whats going as oppose to just fiddling knobs (its fun) till the right sound comes to mind.

Again, plug-in specific, or synthesis techniques in a broader sense?

Perhaps you could post some of the names of the knobs/sliders/parameters you want to know more about and someone may be able to chime in and explain? :)

I would like to ask Dr Spectrum...

... how to use Synth-Edit - I've heard it can be used to make 'custom' vst synthesis, yet my couple hours 'reverse engineering' a preset have left me still totally clueless!

Ever used it? Know what I'm on about?  http://www.synthedit.com/ 

I don't like synth edit... tried it and it just ended up sounding like a fart..... and a squelchy one at that. If I stuck at it maybe I'd get more out of it, but to be fair I don;t like the sound engine.

I prefer mucking about with Modular Synth builders like KarmaFX Synth Modular. It's free.. has a decent interface and also helps build different sounds well.

I would like to ask Dr Spectrum...

... how to use Synth-Edit

To the artist-formally-known-as-Skerik :P ,

Sorry mate, never used it. I take it, it's never been avail on Mac OS?

So I see my disguise didn't fool many people...

How does Clark Kent get away with only using glasses??

And yeah, SynthEdit has never been on a mac OS... I've found a copy of KarmaFX on my hdd, might 'ave a look later...

:P I spotted your email when you registered  .. kind of gave it away ;D ...

I am looking for some tips programming sound apps for linux. What I want to make is either a driver or a virtual midi packet hacker MIDI poisoning MIDI Message Editor.

I am currently in a class of music and audio technology..and the tutor start with Music Instrument Digital Interface(MIDI) and I'm new to music, so was wondering is MIDI useful?on creating tracks? 

and in next class, there is gonna be MIDI Notes, MIDI Control Messages/Device. Any where can I found resources to support me?

Thanks

I wouldn't suggest 'starting' with pro-tools. There's much more friendly applications about depending on what you want to do. Check out Ableton and Reaper and i've heard whizz bang things about BitWig, but haven't personally used it. Garage Band is also surprisingly simple to use and relatively powerful - like most thing Apple it's been designed to be fairly user intuitive, but can be a bit mirky when you try to get in deeper.

Is midi useful? I guess it depends if you're using hardware. A lot of people start out using VSTi's (instruments that 'plug in' to your software' and then control them via a midi interface, but it never leaves the one computer. IMO, proper midi is sent to hardware and it's like Ethernet for computers... but for musical instruments. Only it's much slower and can be far more painful at times than Ethernet...

So yes Midi is extremely useful if you like hardware synths and effect, as i do. If you're starting out, hardware can be a very very big outlay/investment, hence why people buy "virtual" instruments (VSTi's and similar). I use a mix of both when i actually make time to muck about in the studio... but i'd be lost without midi as it allows me to play and record one instrument/synth, then have it play back/loop while i play another... and then i can go back and tweak the raw instruments. If i'd played them in and recorded them as audio, i wouldn't be able to tweak the original synth sound - i'd have to try and edit the waveform.

Midi has been around since the '70s. Just google Midi and read some of the intro articles then figure out what you'd like to learn about more. Reality is it's pretty simple protocol and most music production software makes using it pretty easy... but i'd suggest Cubase probably has some of the most flexible Midi interfacing about, still. Control messages become important when you want to automatically change presets and do other 'deeper' stuff on hardware that you'd normally need to use menu options etc. for. The basic control messages for instruments are typically pre-set in the DAW's and easily accessible.

I guess midi is really all about musical automation - if you learn to use midi properly, it allows you to structure sessions and live sets so that some of the things that would take time to manually change )or when you have lots of things to change), will change automatically for you. As an E.g., i use to have my projects have a clip at the start that just sent the various synths the patch and parameters they were meant to use for a track... allowing me to smoke more weed without forgetting the settings and patches for a track. When i stopped smoking weed... it became less important as i was remembering sessions more :P