Spectrum

What would you like to know?

39 posts in this topic

Welcome!

One of the most fascinating aspects to electronic music is the synthesis of sound itself.

(Unlike the ready-made piano, guitar or the drums) electronica (for desperate want of a better term) calls upon a variety of methods to generate sounds from scratch.

Is there a something about synth programming you're just not 'getting'?

Curious to know exactly what each knob, button, slider, patch does... and why?

Post your questions here and invite the group to help show you the ropes.

Ill get back to you on this one .. :)    theres plenty of things i want answers to

I've got one - which is the poontang button? I've always been told that pressing the right synth button removes the pants from the ladies... but i've never found exactly where it is. Any idea's?

I've got one - which is the poontang button? I've always been told that pressing the right synth button removes the pants from the ladies... but i've never found exactly where it is. Any idea's?

Now look here, Newbie. Consider your post reported.

...hold that thought, I think I found what you're looking for.

DJM800EFFECTS.jpg

Ill get back to you on this one .. ;)    theres plenty of things i want answers to

Well given the quality, in-depth piece you already wrote up on 'subtractive' I'll be interested to see where you want to go from here. And if I can walk away from this site with a complete handle on FM, I'll be a happy man. One of the best, keep-it-simple blurbs I've read on FM was by no-fi over on the site-we-do-not-speak-of. ;)

That was a good summary he wrote. When you start to dive in, there's a little more to it than that... but his write up was a brilliant intro and certainly helped demistify it better than i could have ;)

Haha , yes well , ill let you in on a little secret , i didnt actually write that article by hand .. i compiled it from lots of information I had on basic synthesis  .parts of it was copied from an eBook i had .....  They were all the parts i understood and felt I could comment on , should i be asked a question about it ...    I wrote little parts of it , but not the entire thing , this is why when your actually in the article , it dosnt say my name in the top under the heading like it does all the rest of the articles ...

Hey that's cool, and that's pretty sound way of approaching it too (re: all the parts i understood and felt I could comment on , should i be asked a question about it"). Perhaps you could add your references too, should someone wish to look into it deeper.

When I first was learning subtractive, I got the diagrams showing the bass<--->treble and how a high/low/band-pass filter would sweep across it, but then coudn't work out how those "series of vertical poles/stems" tied into it all Seems so simple now .

Was thinking that concept you've illustrated there provides a nice stepping stone into additive synthesis, where one can literally grab each one of those harmonic stems and set each level individually...

...but I digress. ;)

Wheres this FM article you speak of???

Yeah, good question??? :)  Just searched "no-fi" "FM" "frequency" over on MP&[email protected] and had no success. It's there somewhere... from around 6 months ago.

Here's the DX7 thread:

http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=185776&highlight=yamaha

And no-fi's post is in here:

http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=179820&highlight=fm+synthesis

or a direct link:

http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/showpost.php?p=390229963&postcount=47

ITM's search engine suck's arse - it needs more than 3 charaters to work properly. So, i put in FM Synthesis and no-fi... walla!

^^^ Thanks Jester! ;)

If I'd thought of chucking "dx7" into the search pot too, I might've been luckier. :)

Nice one ;) 

I think they should get their own threads in the Tutorials and Articles forum :)

Too right. How'd you go convincing no-fi to join the community? That guy has got mad knowledge and the tech savvy to back it up * 10. He's like... the thinking mans mungo ;D

Too right. How'd you go convincing no-fi to join the community? That guy has got mad knowledge and the tech savvy to back it up * 10. He's like... the thinking mans mungo ;D

Now that they have had a meeting of the minds Nofi and the fu enjoy long romantic walks along the sand and long showers in the mens.... :)

In all seriousness though, he would be an asset to the site. so lets convince him that this is tha place to be.

Aiight .. Well go and recruit him guys ;)  .. I dont really know him so i havnt contacted him yet ....

I spoke with DRi and I got the impression he's pretty forum hardened and wasnt really interested in joining another .. :)

dawwwwwwwwww..........

you care!!

you REALLY CARE!!!!!

:-*

:-[

so....  what exactly are we showering in?

and does it sting if it gets in your eyes??

id like some info on different combinations of waveforms and the affect they have.  also some tips on creating groove sequences. Id really like "to know" whats going as oppose to just fiddling knobs (its fun) till the right sound comes to mind.

re: "Id really like "to know" whats going as oppose to just fiddling knobs (its fun) till the right sound comes to mind."

Is that with regards to "creating groove sequences" or synth programming? If it's the former, wondering what program are you using, and what these knobs are labeled as. Thinking you were referring to synth tweakage? If so, what synths are you referring to? :)